Height on the run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by yodercountrygirl, Apr 9, 2009.

1. yodercountrygirl

yodercountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

We are starting on our coop and run. [​IMG] But we don't know how high to make the fence. Help please!!!

2. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    I put up 5' fence around my run. Works good. I also clipped their wings so they can't fly as high.

3. smokeater413

smokeater413 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    NW Florida
    we made ours 6ft high and covered it with 2x4 welded wire, we didnt want to stoop while working in the run.

4. mdelo

mdelo New Egg

Apr 5, 2009
    Quote:Thats the same reason I made mine 6' high [​IMG]

5. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Mine is 7 ft at the door and 5 ft. at the lowest point. Nice not to worry about hitting my head when I'm in there. It's fully covered with metal sheeting. Sounds great in the rain.

6. Over Easy in Adna

Over Easy in Adna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Adna Washington
    Quote:Thats the same reason I made mine 6' high [​IMG]

I would still hit my head........[​IMG]

7. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

I currently have a 12x24 6ft high section attached to a 24x40 4ft high section all is covered with poultry or aviary netting. I like having an area where I can walk around in with the birds and enjoy them with out whacking my head. But I want more room then I can afford to make 6ft high that is why the height deference. Now at the new farm when we build that 12x24 walk in area it will have a solid roof on it, not an open wire or netting covered area. This will make for less mud in the spring and more area that is snow free in the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by