Heimlich ate plastic

NewAtThis8

Songster
Apr 9, 2023
šŸ˜‘ ironic, I know. But my duck, Heimlich, got hold of a piece of what looked like soft plastic wrapping that was in the back yard today. He swallowed it before I could grab it. How worried should I be about thisā€¦.? If itā€™s soft and malleable is there a good chance he will pass it or is it going to cause a blockage issue?

How big of a piece? and how big is the duck>(breed? age>?)
I know of a duck that died from eating a deflated balloon :(
but one of my geese once ate an elastic hair tie and she was fine

How big of a piece? and how big is the duck>(breed? age>?)
I know of a duck that died from eating a deflated balloon :(
but one of my geese once ate an elastic hair tie and she was fine
The piece was probably half the size of my palmā€¦ heā€™s a big duck. Heā€™s a jumbo Pekin, a year old, and probably weighs about 13 lbs.

He might be ok I hope he passes it, maybe theres something you can give him to help it go through, let's tag @Miss Lydia
One time my dog ate a stick of butter including the wax paper wrappingā€¦. I had to chase him around the yard with a turkey baster full of peroxide to make him throw it up. It was not a good time. But I donā€™t know if you can make a duck throw up and if thatā€™s the way.. really getting a run for my money with these two boysā€¦

One time my dog ate a stick of butter including the wax paper wrappingā€¦. I had to chase him around the yard with a turkey baster full of peroxide to make him throw it up. It was not a good time. But I donā€™t know if you can make a duck throw up and if thatā€™s the way.. really getting a run for my money with these two boysā€¦
No definitly do not make a duck throw up

I am not sure. I wish I could say yes he will. I don't know what the gizzard will d o with it.

Nope you really don't want to force any poultry to throw up they can easily aspirate.
How long do they usually take to process food? I have a friend whose chicken ate something foreign (she never found out what it was, but it was likely metal and sharp because it tore her up coming out) and sheā€™s fine now. Iā€™m hoping for this scenarioā€¦. But if i call the vet for help itā€™ll be almost 24 hours from him swallowing it to being seen so not sure if itā€™s going to harm him before i can get help.

Last edited:
How long do they usually take to process food? I have a friend whose chicken ate something foreign (she never found out what it was, but it was likely metal and sharp because it tore her up coming out) and sheā€™s fine now. Iā€™m hoping for this scenarioā€¦. But if i call the vet for help itā€™ll be almost 24 hours from him swallowing it to being seen so not sure if itā€™s going to harm him before i can get help.
Lets see if we can get @casportpony to weigh in.

Back
Top Bottom