helllo and thank you for having me as part of the chicken family from thunder bay ont Canada

scotttaylor41

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 15, 2012
im new looking to start with ready lay chicken but the that is stopping me is i am in a wheelchair so not sure i can do this for one and the other is like so meany of you im a newbie to the whole chicken world and know not a thing about it but i love the sound of the roster in the morning and watching them do there thing they do everyday sooo in saying that i need real help in knowing what works as ready lays in thunder bay and what i need to know before i wheel in to this like how ofton do i need to feed water them clean out there coops so if i may ask the pros on here for any ideas or way you may think i can work this id be soooo pleased

Hello and :welcome

To find others in your area, you can visit the Canada thread in Where am I, where are you - perhaps you'll be able to get some advice about chickens where you live. :)

I've found that grown chickens don't need too much tending to. We go down to the coop to pour out some feed and change the water every morning, and collect the eggs, that is about it. They free range, and pretty much take care of themselves.

I know some people with coops built so that the nest boxes and a "poop tray" under the roosts can be pulled out from the back of the coop for easy egg collecting and cleaning without having to get right into the coop.

I wish you all the best for when you do get chickens, it's a very good experience! Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have. Enjoy the site. :)

WelcometoBYC.gif

Hello and welcome Scott! I think that if you get the right coop design, you will have a pretty easy time caring for the chickens. Just check out the coop section of the website. Maybe get a pull-out tray under the roost full of PDZ so you can easily clean up in the coop, as well as the pull-out nesting boxes? Also look into a tank with a floater valve with chicken nipples for a waterer, with organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar in the mix to keep the chickens healthy and keep the plastic from getting slimy. If you can get a heated watering tank, that will also make your job easier.

Good luck with your feathered kids!
~Sara Jane

Back
Top Bottom