1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello! A newbie with 1 quail...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by oneanddone, Aug 26, 2016.

1. oneanddone

oneanddone New Egg

Aug 26, 2016
    Hello to all and thank you to all of the veteran posters on BYC for helping us newbies!

We are in Spokane Washington and out of the blue have become keepers of 1 quail. Trying to be optimistic, we have searched high and low to find information/rescue centers/and anything we can to keep this little thing alive. So here we are, ready for any help we can get.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! That's so now of you to take this single quail in, are you going to keep it? If so have you thought about getting a friend for it? They do so much better with other if their own kind. I see you have posted in the quail section, I'm sure the keepers there will be bake to help you out.

Wishing you the very best of luck for the future and enjoy BYC :frow

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, oneanddone, and :welcome. Great to have you aboard! I agree with Yorkshire Coop, poultry doesn't do well singly. Also, there is something we call chicken math around here. It's when you start out with a couple chickens....add a couple more...then realize there's this one breed you've always wanted to try. Soon you have a whole flock! :). So, I hope your username, oneanddone" doesn't refer to your lone quail. In fact I'll bet there could be a quail math corollary.
    "One and done" turns into "two and we're through" turns into "three and we're fini" and then "four and no more"....and on down the line until finally it's "twenty is plenty" or even "fifty is nifty." :lol: Anyway, just having some fun! I hope your enjoy your quail(s)! :D

4. oneanddone

oneanddone New Egg

Aug 26, 2016
    Thank you York shire Coop and redsoxs.
    I spent the early hours this morning trying to locate anyone local who might have any quail hatchlings, no luck there. We've tried everything to get her to eat or drink, no luck there either. Then my dog vet suggested a local woman who specializes in rehabilitation quail! Yay!
    I spoke to her and we are meeting at my vet so she can properly raise this little one and get her a covey to belong to!!
    I'm so happy, it was getting really sad trying to care for something that couldn't "get it". And this wonderful woman has experience and a few tricks up her sleeve for problem children like ours ;)

Redsoxs; the one and done was mainly a reference to our only son. We have quite the variety of reptiles and insects. My son is a little entomologist so we have horned beetles and the like. It birds? This was our first, and I think if we'd hatched a couple of them who could help each other with figuring our the wood and waer thing, we'd definitely keep and raise them. But, oh yeah, there's no such thing as one. :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Now if you wanted a few chicks, this is the place for information, hand holding, and great advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by