Hello addicts, I'll be joining you shortly.

Tylt33

Songster
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
Chico, California
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I'm new to chickens, as in I've ordered ten and don't have any yet. Yep, that new. I haven't yet had an opportunity to feed what is soon to be a raging addiction. It feels like I'll probably be at home here on BYC.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I have ordered ten, set to ship 06/30/2010; I vaguely remember a proverb regarding counting birds, so let's just say zero for now to be safe.

(3) What breeds do you have?

None; ordered two Silver Laced Wyandotte, two Gold Laced Wyandotte, two Buff Orpington, two Dark Brahma, two Buff Brahma.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Not sure.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I'm open to any addicting hobby out there. Keeping a Reef Tank (saltwater aquarium) is the current money pit. It seems to change on a frequent basis, I'm hoping chickens will be my new fix.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I'm engaged, and am moving into my first house in two days. I have three cats; a Singapura and two snow Bengals. I'm a School Psychologist in an extremely poor school district, and it makes for some interesting stories.

I'll answer any question, if anyone is curious.

welcome-byc.gif
from Modesto
frow.gif

Thought about a salt water aquarium again and then remembered all the work. Chickens are easy!

Good luck with your new babies. Where did you order from?

frow.gif
from San Diego!! I went from 3 to 20 in a matter of hours...yes, it's THAT addicting!! If you build your coop it helps to limit what you get...unless you add on as I see many doing here!
lol.png

Chickens are fascinating, believe it or not. I'm sure if you enjoy watching fish you'll be hooked on watching chickens.
welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
I ordered from Nature's Hatchery originally, read all of the posts here saying how poor their customer service is, and placed another order with Ideal. So, I have 10 coming from Ideal, and another 5 coming from Nature's Hatchery if they don't cancel my order as my phone message and emails have requested. We'll see what happens. It came out to be $12 *cheaper* from Ideal for twice as many chickens. Go figure!

Quote:
San Diego... the prize of California! I live in a city-ish part of town (i.e. my house is in low density residential), so I'm trying to keep a small flock. I'm only planning on keeping five chickens or so. I'm still not set on a coop; I REALLY like A-Frame coops, and in particular, like the large coop from handcraftedcoops.com. In terms of building skills, I own a screwdriver and two or three measuring tapes. I also think I have a hammer. So... I'll be buying
wink.png

Quote:
San Diego... the prize of California! I live in a city-ish part of town (i.e. my house is in low density residential), so I'm trying to keep a small flock. I'm only planning on keeping five chickens or so. I'm still not set on a coop; I REALLY like A-Frame coops, and in particular, like the large coop from handcraftedcoops.com. In terms of building skills, I own a screwdriver and two or three measuring tapes. I also think I have a hammer. So... I'll be buying
wink.png

Five or so????
lau.gif
lau.gif

I only wanted 3 or 4 for eggs. That was it. Just some fresh eggs.

I have 7 Game hens, 2 BRs, 1 unknow breed hen, 2 Ameraucanas, 3 Buff Laced Polish, 1 WCBP, 4 FBCMs getting ready to move from brooder to coop along with 2 WMs and an Ameraucana, 5 EEs in another brooder, 15 Wellie eggs in the bator on lockdown as of today and I'm picking up a flock of 10 FBCMs tomorrow.......oops......today. I also have 60+ eggs in the bator hatching over the next week to 3 weeks. OH!!!!!!!!!!!! Man I forgot the new birds! 7 Silkies 6 white and 1 black, 4 Mille Fleur pullets, 2 Light Brahma pullets, 2 I think white rock pullets and 1 little black pullet that I'm not sure about Are there Aussie bantams??These last ones are all bantams. Hope I didn't miss anybody else! Bad chickie momma!

I did really good monday. Went to the auction and bought NOTHING! Hubby asked how many new chickens I had got and when I told him he just stared at me and looked shocked.

This is what happens when you only have MAYBE 1 drink a year, never done drugs and the kids are all about grown and gone. I'm addicted to caffine and chickens!

I also live in an area kind of city-ish and so many people around here have chickens I fit in. Well sort of. LOL

Be affraid! I think they are able to practice mind control............................buy more chickens...........

Quote:
wink.png

lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
"Small Flock"?!?!?! Ah, my friend, you dont know what youre saying!! Wait, you must mean youre gonna have 15 SMALL CHICKENS, right??? If this is truly your new addiction (and if it isnt yet, it will be,
lol.png
) you better plan on the biggest coop you can fit/hide/afford, THEN plan on adding on later!
lau.gif

(do a search here on 'chicken math'
wink.png
)

Oh, and make friends with a carpenter, you might need his help!!
gig.gif

Congrats on the start of your flock,
thumbsup.gif
Your gonna love having chicks, theyre so fun!

Quote:
wink.png

lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
"Small Flock"?!?!?! Ah, my friend, you dont know what youre saying!! Wait, you must mean youre gonna have 15 SMALL CHICKENS, right??? If this is truly your new addiction (and if it isnt yet, it will be,
lol.png
) you better plan on the biggest coop you can fit/hide/afford, THEN plan on adding on later!
lau.gif

wink.png
)

gig.gif

thumbsup.gif

Gotta tell it like it is huh Suzette????!!
lau.gif

Quote:
wink.png

Five or so????
lau.gif
lau.gif

I only wanted 3 or 4 for eggs. That was it. Just some fresh eggs.

I have 7 Game hens, 2 BRs, 1 unknow breed hen, 2 Ameraucanas, 3 Buff Laced Polish, 1 WCBP, 4 FBCMs getting ready to move from brooder to coop along with 2 WMs and an Ameraucana, 5 EEs in another brooder, 15 Wellie eggs in the bator on lockdown as of today and I'm picking up a flock of 10 FBCMs tomorrow.......oops......today. I also have 60+ eggs in the bator hatching over the next week to 3 weeks. OH!!!!!!!!!!!! Man I forgot the new birds! 7 Silkies 6 white and 1 black, 4 Mille Fleur pullets, 2 Light Brahma pullets, 2 I think white rock pullets and 1 little black pullet that I'm not sure about Are there Aussie bantams??These last ones are all bantams. Hope I didn't miss anybody else! Bad chickie momma!

I did really good monday. Went to the auction and bought NOTHING! Hubby asked how many new chickens I had got and when I told him he just stared at me and looked shocked.

This is what happens when you only have MAYBE 1 drink a year, never done drugs and the kids are all about grown and gone. I'm addicted to caffine and chickens!

I also live in an area kind of city-ish and so many people around here have chickens I fit in. Well sort of. LOL

Be affraid! I think they are able to practice mind control............................buy more chickens...........

l
I'm REALLY hoping that my fiance keeps me in check on this. She does a really good job. She's basically a little bantam of a thing, feisty as heck. I don't want to regulate my own addictions, I'd rather have someone else do it for me
big_smile.png
And wow.... you've got quite the collection there!!! I'm envious. We really are in the city though... right across the street from an elementary school. I'm in violation of code having any chickens so.... don't tell anyone
wink.png

Quote:
wink.png

lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lol.png
lau.gif

wink.png
)

gig.gif

thumbsup.gif

LOL yeah I was planning on just getting "small breeds" to start... I don't think Orpingtons or Brahma (or even Wyandottes for that matter) count as small breeds, do they
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom