Hello again from NW Wisconsin!

WisconsinChickenWhisperer

Songster
9 Years
Jul 25, 2010
Webster, Wisconsin
Hello, Everyone!

I have been using the BYC site and forum to browse for information and tips for about the last 2 months, and decided to actually join the forum today. I have 17 pullets that are 1 month old now, comprising of several different breeds. I decided to get into raising my own egg layers after my "egg lady" moved away from the area. She was my only reliable source of fresh eggs for myself and several of my friends and family, so, after checking my town ordinance and finding that there were no real restrictions on livestock of any kind, I got to work doing my research, building a brooder, ordering my chicks, and building my coop. I truly love my girls, and I make several trips a day out to the coop to check up on them and to just sit and watch them and their crazy antics. I am addicted! Here is a list of the breeds I have thus far: 2 Ancona, 2 Black Austrolorp, 2 Buff Orpington, 3 Ameraucana, 2 Dominique, 2 Gold Lace Wyandotte, 2 Standard Light Brahma, and 2 Welsummer. All are pullets (or at least they are supposed to be). There is nothing in my ordinance that says I cannot have a roo, but out of respect for my neighbors, I decided not to get one.

A bit of personal info: I am a single mom to 2 grown kids: One boy, one girl. I own my own home (on just shy of 1/2 an acre in the villiage limits), which I share with 4 dogs, 1 cat, and a few fish-in addition to the chickens outside. I work at a group home for troubled teen-aged boys, as well as cooking at a local cafe. I made the switch to vegetarianism in January of this year, which is another reason why I wanted to start raising my own layers. The less animal product I have to purchase from the grocery store, the better, IMHO.

Ok, so I guess that's about it for now. Feel free to ask me anything!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
from GA

Back
Top Bottom