Hello again!

BuckAlorp

Songster
9 Years
Oct 10, 2014
Ravenna, Ohio
While I'm not really a new member I have been here since 2014, researching and learning from many great people. I have had a few excellent conversations with some of you, so if you are one of them please remind me, would love to chat again I have been gone for 2-3 years for various reasons. I have finally reached the point of my life were I have talked my wife into getting chickens, she has a fear of them. We have decided to purchase a larger shed and move its location and use the current 8x8 shed as our coop, it is very sound. Attached to the coop will be a 18 x 80 mostly shaded, run, there is ample sun as well. The run will have netting over the entire top and hardware cloth along the bottom, 24" high and 24" spread across ground to prevent digging and reaching in. This past Sunday I spent the beautiful northeast Ohio day protecting the coop. I wrapped the bottom with 1/4" hardware cloth, 24" out from the walls. It is my intention to have a 4x4 section boarded off inside for my "Coop Office" so to speak, and mealworm development, the rest is for the birds. my intention is to get 10-12 Buckeye chickens and one Black Australorp Rooster. So far, all of the neighbors are keen to me having a rooster, I'm sure that might change once he starts cock-a-doodle-doing. the birds will remain in the coop/run while we are not home but be allowed to free range when we are home and out and about. I would like to know if the space I am providing is good enough for the amount of birds I Intend to start my flock? Also, are my protection plans good enough? Thanks for the reading and I look forward to chatting if the time comes.

While I'm not really a new member I have been here since 2014, researching and learning from many great people. I have had a few excellent conversations with some of you, so if you are one of them please remind me, would love to chat again I have been gone for 2-3 years for various reasons. I have finally reached the point of my life were I have talked my wife into getting chickens, she has a fear of them. We have decided to purchase a larger shed and move its location and use the current 8x8 shed as our coop, it is very sound. Attached to the coop will be a 18 x 80 mostly shaded, run, there is ample sun as well. The run will have netting over the entire top and hardware cloth along the bottom, 24" high and 24" spread across ground to prevent digging and reaching in. This past Sunday I spent the beautiful northeast Ohio day protecting the coop. I wrapped the bottom with 1/4" hardware cloth, 24" out from the walls. It is my intention to have a 4x4 section boarded off inside for my "Coop Office" so to speak, and mealworm development, the rest is for the birds. my intention is to get 10-12 Buckeye chickens and one Black Australorp Rooster. So far, all of the neighbors are keen to me having a rooster, I'm sure that might change once he starts cock-a-doodle-doing. the birds will remain in the coop/run while we are not home but be allowed to free range when we are home and out and about. I would like to know if the space I am providing is good enough for the amount of birds I Intend to start my flock? Also, are my protection plans good enough? Thanks for the reading and I look forward to chatting if the time comes.
Welcome. You should check out noodles harness training program by @PippinTheChicken maybe you will want to start.

Back
Top Bottom