1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello all I am new here!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Critter Crazy, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Hello, I just joined this site, and definitelt looks like my cup of tea! I have had chickens now for a year, so I guess you could still call me a Newbie![​IMG] I have many breeds, with a total number of 33 so far! he breeds I currently have are:
    Silver Spangled Hamburgs
    Silver Pheonix
    Barred Rocks
    New Hampshire Red
    Buff Rock
    Silver Laced Wyandottes
    Delawares
    Black Australorps
    Anconas
    Araucana/Americana
    Cuckoo Maran
    Buff Orpington
    Araucana Bantam
    White Crested Black Polish Bantam
    Mille Fleur D'Uccle
    Rhode Island Red

I think that is all the breeds, always adding new ones tho! I love my birds, I cant imagine how my life was before I got them.
    Cant wait to get to know everyone and their birds![​IMG]

2. jmofaustin

jmofaustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Welcome! You will love it here, lots of great advise when you need it and entertaining when you just need something to do.

3. Critter Crazy

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Thanks, I have been looking around, and there definitely seems to be alot of info, and plenty of chicken lovers here. I think I will fit right in![​IMG]

4. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Hi I am new too. Lots and lots of good info and good people on here.

5. Canarygirl

Canarygirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2007
    How many turn their chickens out to free range? And for how long? I've been letting them out for about a hour right before dark, is that long enough? I stay out with them to watch them around the dog and make sure nothing else gets them.

6. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Welcome to BYC, both of you! I'm sure you'll love it here and in no time be helping us to answer everyone's questions. [​IMG]

7. Critter Crazy

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Quote:My birds are free ranging, I started to let them out on their own at about 8 weeks old. My birds are out all day long, and come inside on their own as soon as it starts to get dark. The problem with free ranging is you have to be in an area where the risk of stray dogs is non-existant. Just last week I lost 4 birds, to two dogs running loose.

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Welcome Maggie.
    It sucks when your birds have to be kept in the yard, but it's okay for the darned dogs to roam...The neighbour's GSP had his head right in the back door to get at the birds one time. I chased him out and clocked him on the head with a small rock...he hasn't been back since.[​IMG]
    Sorry for your losses.
    Obelisk wants to go out as soon as I'm up, but I need coffee first. They put themselves in at nightfall and I just have to close up the door. I don't leave them out if I go anywhere, you just never know...and I couldn't stand it if I came home to little copper-laced feathers scattered in the yard from Penny or a beheaded Obelisk.

9. Critter Crazy

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Quote:Hello, yes it did stink loosing my birds, I lost one of my Ancona hens, and 3 Ducks. then today one more duck passed away, i am thinking from depression as she was very sad after the others were gone. I Know darn well it was my Neighbors dogs, as I have caught them chasing my chickens before, and we dont have stray dogs around here. But I cannot prove it. It happened in the middle of the afternoon, while I was home, unfortunately I was in my basement and did not hear anything.

I am mad that these dogs are loose all the time, but the owner is a comlete moron! I told him about his dogs and my birds,a nd he told me if I found the dogs on my property again to just shoot them! What a moron!

My birds Free range all day long, even when I am not home, although that isnt very often as I am a stay at home mom, so my outings are very short. But If i had to lock them up every time I had to leave, I would get quite a work out, trying to get 33 chickens and 10 ducks inside!:rolleyes:he he he he! I am sure it would be a sight to see!Not to mention I would have alot of unhappy chickens!!

10. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    I can't even trust my own dogs around my chickens. One is a boxer who wants to play with everything...roughly! The other is a Katrina rescue who thinks anything and everything is food meant for him.[​IMG]

So I am building a coop and yard for my chickens and built a big run for the dogs. Hopefully that will be the best of both worlds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by