Hello all, I'm new to the 'hobby'

welcome-byc.gif

Oh boy,,,she is so in for a surprise,,, she has no idea does she?? She'll be postin away here real soon,,,Welcome aboard,,,,just remember,,,it's just a 'hobby',,,,weekend thing really,,,hahaha!!!
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif

Well, I'm real glad everyone got a laugh out of my 'hobby' comment.
I do have question. I was trying to find out about my local ordinances to having chickens in the town I live in and found that 'poultry' are grouped with 'livestock' and they don't allow it. I know there are other people here in town that have chickens (ive heard roos myself), but I'm afraid that my neighbors on either side will complain. One of them has a VERY noisy dog that brarks during the day, because she puts it outside and goes to work. The other one stopped by my house before she bought to ask if anyone in the neighborhood was noisy partiers. I haven't gotten up the guts to ask either one about how they would feel about chickens. I hate to get invested and attached only to have the city tell me I can't have them. If the market weren't where it was at I'd ask hubby to move us to a chicken friendly area with more space (for more chickens).
Have any of you gone through this? I'm afraid of how hubby will react to the law and us trying to 'sneak' through it (my idea).
Thanks for reading.
smile.png

BTW, I live in Hillsboro OR

Your gonna love really like this bunch of folks, Addiction is assured.

Where is Hillsboro? My mother lives in Millwaukee OR. Anyway, if you plan on breeding them then it might be a problem to have a rooster because of the noise. On the other hand if you keep on top of them there really shouldn't be a problem. That many chooks shouldn't be a problem sound or smell wise. Might want to dog proof the run or your yard though. Who knows, if you were to offer eggs from time to time to your neighbors they probably wouldn't peep a word to the city. Good luck on your new "hobby". Oh almost forgot,
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome,

You will find all you need to know here.

I am from the UK, and I have just 4 chickens in my back garden, and learning all the time. lol.

Good Luck

Jena.

Since you live on such a small lot, you should only consider getting hens, no roosters. Hens are not totally quiet, but you can often appease hesitant neighbors with eggs.
You can call your city zoning department and ask them if hens are allowed. Some cities out and out ban them, but others allow a small number of hens. They may have an ordinance regarding placement of a coop, however, and that could be problematic on a small lot.

If the city wont allow you to have any chickens (and dont just take their word for it, ask them to show you the actual written ordinance) then see if you are allowed to have a few ducks. There are several breeds of ducks which are excellent layers, producing nearly as many eggs as a good hen, and they are great at eating bugs.
This is one of my Runner ducks standing next to some of my geese. Unlike other ducks, Runners stand upright like this all the time. They are great layers, too.

3_100_4659.jpg

Welcome to BYC!
Chel

I have WHAT in my yard? :

Hobby!!
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

Hobby! She called it a hobby!!
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

POor thing hasn't found out what an Addiction it is!! Oh She doesn't know what she's in for!!
gig.gif

What? She can hear this?
ep.gif

Ooops. Never mind dear. Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

yuckyuck.gif

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom