Hello all. Need help identifying a couple chickens please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by farmerkevin, Dec 1, 2013.

1. farmerkevin

farmerkevin Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2013
    Got these for free and have no idea what they are. Any help is greatly appreciated :)
    [​IMG]

And this one. Same as one in pic above just a different angle. Here looks like a rooster?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance gals/guys :)

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Both your birds are female, so that's a good start!

The larger red hen is likely a generic red hatchery bird, but I can't see the comb well enough to say she's not mixed with something else. She should be a good layer of nice brown eggs.

The smaller brown hen makes me think brown leghorn at first look, but she's missing the tell-tale white earlobes and large comb. I'm thinking she's a game bird instead, and will be a decent layer of light brown/cream colored eggs. She'll also be a great forager and potential escape artist, and more likely to go broody than the red hen.

3. NRML

NRML Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2013
    X2 Perfectly said IMO

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X3

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    x4 Hatchery quality Rhode Island Red or production red hen and another hen likely an OEGB (Old English Game Bird) or mix with that.
    Lady of McCamley

6. farmerkevin

Nov 30, 2013
    Thanks gals.

I figured they were just generic hatchery birds, knowing the people I got them from.

As far as the escape artist? It's one of the barred rocks haha. I fed them all this am. Then this pm I went back there to feed them again.

One of the barred rocks was outside the pen, next to the other barred rock which was inside the pen haha.

I got one of the barred rocks to eat out of my hand. They stayed close and I was able to pet ten a little bit.

The other ones are very skittish. The previous owners didn't socialize with them much I guess. I'm planning on changing that.

I sat out there for 15-20 minutes while they ate. I'm trying to get them comfortable around me. The barred rocks are comfortable, but still a bit sketchy.

Again thanks for the identification gals :)

7. farmerkevin

Nov 30, 2013
    One more identification please

Picked this little guy up this morning. They didn't know what kind he is.

Any ideas? He sure is a mean one though.
    [​IMG]

Thanks gals and guys :)

8. loversday002

loversday002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2012
    Pine Bush, New York
    he kind of looks like my white leg horn but I got it from my sister so its a cross of some type

9. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

X's 5 I was thinking game bird too.

10. farmerkevin

Nov 30, 2013
    Thanks gals. I almost got a rooster that had furry legs. I've never seen them like that before so I passed. I can still go get them, but I didn't know if they were crosses or something.

So I have a rir of some degree and a game hen (got her sister tonight. What a workout. Phew. Kept going in the trees), 2 barred rocks, and a leghorn rooster? I'm not a mix kinda guy lol. I was hoping to get all one kind, but beggars can't choosers :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by