Hello all. Need help identifying a couple chickens please

farmerkevin

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 30, 2013
Got these for free and have no idea what they are. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

And this one. Same as one in pic above just a different angle. Here looks like a rooster?

Thanks in advance gals/guys :)

welcome-byc.gif

Both your birds are female, so that's a good start!

The larger red hen is likely a generic red hatchery bird, but I can't see the comb well enough to say she's not mixed with something else. She should be a good layer of nice brown eggs.

The smaller brown hen makes me think brown leghorn at first look, but she's missing the tell-tale white earlobes and large comb. I'm thinking she's a game bird instead, and will be a decent layer of light brown/cream colored eggs. She'll also be a great forager and potential escape artist, and more likely to go broody than the red hen.

welcome-byc.gif

The larger red hen is likely a generic red hatchery bird, but I can't see the comb well enough to say she's not mixed with something else. She should be a good layer of nice brown eggs.

The smaller brown hen makes me think brown leghorn at first look, but she's missing the tell-tale white earlobes and large comb. I'm thinking she's a game bird instead, and will be a decent layer of light brown/cream colored eggs. She'll also be a great forager and potential escape artist, and more likely to go broody than the red hen.

X2 Perfectly said IMO

welcome-byc.gif

X3

Thanks gals.

I figured they were just generic hatchery birds, knowing the people I got them from.

As far as the escape artist? It's one of the barred rocks haha. I fed them all this am. Then this pm I went back there to feed them again.

One of the barred rocks was outside the pen, next to the other barred rock which was inside the pen haha.

I got one of the barred rocks to eat out of my hand. They stayed close and I was able to pet ten a little bit.

The other ones are very skittish. The previous owners didn't socialize with them much I guess. I'm planning on changing that.

I sat out there for 15-20 minutes while they ate. I'm trying to get them comfortable around me. The barred rocks are comfortable, but still a bit sketchy.

Again thanks for the identification gals :)

One more identification please

Picked this little guy up this morning. They didn't know what kind he is.

Any ideas? He sure is a mean one though.

Thanks gals and guys :)

welcome-byc.gif

X's 5 I was thinking game bird too.

Thanks gals. I almost got a rooster that had furry legs. I've never seen them like that before so I passed. I can still go get them, but I didn't know if they were crosses or something.

So I have a rir of some degree and a game hen (got her sister tonight. What a workout. Phew. Kept going in the trees), 2 barred rocks, and a leghorn rooster? I'm not a mix kinda guy lol. I was hoping to get all one kind, but beggars can't choosers :)

Back
Top Bottom