Hello All of My Fellow Flocksters!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NordicChick, Jan 4, 2017.

1. NordicChick

NordicChick Just Hatched

Jan 4, 2017
    North Central Texas
    Hey, everyone, I just joined the BYC community and feel right at home! I can tell that I am among friends when I read through some of the forums on here and can't wait to see what I'll learn next, soo much information! And, heck, who knows, maybe I'll even have a single, small, took me years to form, little Pearl of Wisdom to share with you all as well (I'll be sure to post it when I find it;)

So, I have been raising chickens for almost 8 years now (although the first year or so, I probably shouldn't count since my ignorance cost me my entire first year's flock and much of my second one). Year three, I re-started out with just 25 hatchery chicks both buff orpingtons and brahmas. However, as some of you know, chickens have a tendency to morph and multiply. Therefore, we now have over 120 chickens consisting of about 10 different breeds! I believe I may have read about this here, could this be the much discussed "chicken math? " This appears to be a common phenomenon ~:>

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hi there NordicChick

I have already said hello on another thread but just wanted to make it official! [​IMG]

I concur with the diagnosis of chicken math. I believe there is no cure but 2 chicks a month should keep it under control [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, NordicChick, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! You are among a great group of folks here at BYC and will fit right in! Best wishes!

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC -- you have definitely come to the right place to find a bunch of folks willing to sit around and 'talk chicken' all day (and night, lol). It sounds like you had a bit of a bumpy start but you're on your way now in a big way!

5. NordicChick

NordicChick Just Hatched

Jan 4, 2017
    North Central Texas
    Thank you all for the warm welcome! Already loving it here!!

6. NordicChick

NordicChick Just Hatched

Jan 4, 2017
    North Central Texas
    Well, hello, hello, Teila! Thanks for the friendly welcome! I'm sure you intended to say "'MINIMUM' 2 chicks a month" at least that's what I'll be telling my husband;)

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

[​IMG]

8. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest For The WicKed Premium Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    [​IMG] you sound like you already have a good grasp on the whole math "equation" side of things...lol

[​IMG] So glad you've joined the flock! [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Some call it chicken math, others chicken addiction. Whatever, I just consider it a whole lot of chickens. BYCERS are a bunch of fierce enablers - no one will ever tell you, you have too many chickens. That's for your relatives & neighbors to say. And if they do, tell them "no free eggs for you."[​IMG]

Welcome to Backyard chickens, glad you joined the flock. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Yep, definitely a case of chicken math...and that's not a bad thing! I just saw one of your birds over on another thread (rare breed, can't recall the name)...very impressive.

Thanks for joining us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by