Hello all, Susan S. I am a new member I thought I would check this site out for my new chickens I will be getting in the near future.

Stewart Farms

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 4, 2017
Hello all, Susan S. I am a new member I thought I would check this site out for my new chickens I will be getting in the near future. I will building a new coup but is will be big. As, I want to sell my eggs to a friend of mine that runs a coffee house and others that want to use fresh eggs. So as you all know I have to get USDA qualified.

Welcome to BYC, Susan. You'll need a large flock.
You may want to check into your cost for an initial investment, as well as the local price of feed. You will need a high quality layer feed with at least 18% protein and additional oyster shell and grit on the side. If you decide to keep roosters or chicks you'll want a flock maintainer feed instead.
You'll also have to replace your layer hens every two years if you want to produce enough eggs for a profitable commercial venture. (I personally couldn't and wouldn’t slaughter my older flock.) You will probably be able to sell your 18 month to two year olds fairly easily and if you have roosters, you could sell hatching eggs or chicks for additional income.
You may find that this venture isn't profitable, but keeping chickens had its own rewards.
Good luck with your plans.

Hello all, Susan S. I am a new member I thought I would check this site out for my new chickens I will be getting in the near future. I will building a new coup but is will be big. As, I want to sell my eggs to a friend of mine that runs a coffee house and others that want to use fresh eggs. So as you all know I have to get USDA qualified.
Welcome into BYC! :)

Back
Top Bottom