Hello all.

benandsarah

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2016
Alabama
Hello all. The wife and I are about to become first time chicken owners. We have been around them for a while but never owned any ourselves. We've put a lot of work into our coop and the security of our soon to be birds. Look forward to soaking up your knowledge about chickens!

Great choice! Chickens are wonderful to have around, I own ducks but have helped with my friend's chickens and they are so nice. Welcome to BYC! You'll love the community here I'm sure!

Hi and welcome to byc - great to have you join us. Good luck with your new chicken adventure. There's lots of info in the learning centre, but feel free to ask any questions you may have. Additionally, if you type Alabama in the search bar, you should find byc members in your area.

Cheers
Ct

welcome-byc.gif

What breed(s) of chicks are you getting? That first flock can be a real learning experience. No matter how much reading you've done ahead of time, you'll learn a lot just by spending time with them and figuring out their behaviors. Feel free to ask questions, everyone was new at some point and there are a lot of experienced, helpful members here.

Have fun!

We are currently looking at a mixture of brown egg layers. It's a mixture of a few breeds such as Australorps, brahmas, orpingtons, rir, Sussex, stars, and wyandottes.

Are there any in there I should steer clear of until we have more experience?

We are currently looking at a mixture of brown egg layers. It's a mixture of a few breeds such as Australorps, brahmas, orpingtons, rir, Sussex, stars, and wyandottes.

Are there any in there I should steer clear of until we have more experience?
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. That's a great mix of good layers; all docile breeds and the Stars (Sex Links) are egg laying machines. The Australorps are also excellent layers. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

I recently built a 4x8 coop for my soon to be chickens, it also has a 2x7 external laying box (4 dividers inside it). The coop is 7feet tall on the inside and has about 30 linear feet of roosting posts. The coop is up off the ground 2 feet and encompassed by a 24' x 24' run. If my math is correct that's about 46sq ft inside( counting the laying boxes) and 576' outside.

I was hoping to raise 15 chickens. Is this suitable?

Posted this earlier but I think it was in the wrong thread.

I recently built a 4x8 coop for my soon to be chickens, it also has a 2x7 external laying box (4 dividers inside it). The coop is 7feet tall on the inside and has about 30 linear feet of roosting posts. The coop is up off the ground 2 feet and encompassed by a 24' x 24' run. If my math is correct that's about 46sq ft inside( counting the laying boxes) and 576' outside.

I was hoping to raise 15 chickens. Is this suitable?

Posted this earlier but I think it was in the wrong thread.

The run has more than enough square feet for 15 chickens but the coop is too small. Coop requirements are a minimum of 4 sq. ft. of area per bird NOT COUNTING THE LAYING BOXES AND AREA TAKEN UP BY THE ROOSTS. If I'm reading your post correctly you only have 32 sq. ft of coop not counting the laying boxes and roost space and with 15 birds you need 60 sq. ft. of area not counting the nest boxes and roost space.

Back
Top Bottom