Hello All

Tanis82

Hatching
Jun 12, 2016
Victoria, BC Canada
Hello,
Wanted to say hello to the community. I've had chickens when I was younger. Just recently purchased 4 chicks...

Just getting their run together. Most of the runs and such I've noticed being sold at the garden and farm stores seem ridiculously small.

I'm not wanting to keep my girls in an awkward position at night *they will have an automatic opener, or I'll open it up fairly early. Start work at 5am.*

I do have to give up my garden space, as my wife will not let me take up more of the yard for my "projects".

I'm willing to sacrifice, about 7' by 12' including coop space, putting a 4'x4'x4' coop in the corner.

Just wanted to get some input when saying hello :). I will be starting a thread in the coop section, once I start digging holes.

Mike

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community! Yes, these prebuilt coops are way too small for flocks. Chickens enjoy hanging out in their coops and wont in these tiny ones. I started with a small above ground coop and had all kinds of trouble with frost bite, cramped birds and just mayhem within the flock. LOL So built them grand central station and they love it. LOL AND, I can walk in, clean easily, sit on the floor with them too. They love that.

Well, you have certainly come to the right place for all the fun and learning. Feel free to ask any questions you may have and we do welcome you to our flock! :)

Hi :welcome Mike

Glad you could join us here! I would agree that as much room as you can possibly give them would be best. Always so much happier when they are like that. Have you checked out our coop section? Lots of great plans and ideas there for you to check out ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs

Wishing you the very best of luck for the future. Enjoy your time here on BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Hi Mike and welcome to BYC - great to have you onboard with us.

Good luck with the coop build!

All the best
CT

Nice to meet you Mike. I think after your wife sees them around, she will come over to the chicken side. Then she may tell you to use the entire yard, and give you a list of breeds she wants.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! The dimensions you have in mind can work for a small number of chickens, like 4-5. Good luck with the build and project!

Back
Top Bottom