Hello all!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I'm concerned about the rattling in her breathing you heard before she was attacked. It sounds as if she's got a respiratory infection and if she does the rest of them are at high risk of exposure.

If you don't have it, it's pretty easy to get a hold of fish antibiotics by going to the pet store or ordering online but I would give her 250 mg of amoxicillin (Fishmox or Aquamox) twice a day, throw the VetRX in the trash as it's not going to do anything, and get a bottle of Tylan50 from a feed store. The dose to treat a respiratory infection is 25ml/Kg twice daily for a week. If she is a 5# chicken, that comes to 1.1-1.2 mls, twice daily. You draw the Tylosin out of the bottle with a needle and syringe then remove the syringe and administer orally. Go VERY slowly and just give a few drops that she can swallow. Once she regains some strength, you can squirt the dose into several pieces of bread and feed them to her. Start offering bread as a treat now so that she'll readily take it later.

To help her gain strength and recover from the shock of her injury, keep her in a warm quiet room and put poultry vitamins in her water. You may want to give her a few drops of the poultry vitamins directly to her beak to help boost her.
I would also offer her complete chicken feed as a wet mash. She needs nutrients and the oatmeal does not provide what she needs right now.

Good luck with her.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I'm concerned about the rattling in her breathing you heard before she was attacked. It sounds as if she's got a respiratory infection and if she does the rest of them are at high risk of exposure.

If you don't have it, it's pretty easy to get a hold of fish antibiotics by going to the pet store or ordering online but I would give her 250 mg of amoxicillin (Fishmox or Aquamox) twice a day, throw the VetRX in the trash as it's not going to do anything, and get a bottle of Tylan50 from a feed store. The dose to treat a respiratory infection is 25ml/Kg twice daily for a week. If she is a 5# chicken, that comes to 1.1-1.2 mls, twice daily. You draw the Tylosin out of the bottle with a needle and syringe then remove the syringe and administer orally. Go VERY slowly and just give a few drops that she can swallow. Once she regains some strength, you can squirt the dose into several pieces of bread and feed them to her. Start offering bread as a treat now so that she'll readily take it later.

To help her gain strength and recover from the shock of her injury, keep her in a warm quiet room and put poultry vitamins in her water. You may want to give her a few drops of the poultry vitamins directly to her beak to help boost her.
I would also offer her complete chicken feed as a wet mash. She needs nutrients and the oatmeal does not provide what she needs right now.

Good luck with her.
Thank you so so much!!! I will try to get those meds you mentioned asap. I was just out there, she looks much better than last night!! She was eating, drinking and finally walking around! I feel so much better now but I'm still concerned about all of them with the raspy sounds they're making. I'm pretty sure they have some respiratory thing going on. I will try to treat that asap! Thank you!!!!

Back
Top Bottom