Hello! Allow me to introduce myself!

gambit2178

Songster
8 Years
Oct 6, 2011
CALI
Greetings from Sunny So. Cal!
My name is Mauro and at my 33 years of age, never once it crossed my mind that one day I was going to have chickens as pets but not just pets, I never thought they would become my babies, my sweet, fluffly and affectionate babies.
How the silkies came into my life is a fabulous story on its own. Everything started on July 21, when a long lost love called me after we found each other online after 3 years of no conmunication. One of the many new things in his life was the love for 12 chicks that were born earlier that day. Well I was also born the same day 32 years earlier, as a gift he gave me one chick that stood out, something I never seen or heard before, A Splash Silkie, to which I named "LeShant."
Fast forward 8 months, boyfriend had to moved into a small apartment, all the birds had to go. The day of the moving I came across an incubator, in which 6 tiny eggs rested. He was going to toss them out, the thought of it made me sick.
So, I took eggs and incubator home not knowing what to expect. I had lost my job and was given a diagnosed that completely turned my world upside down. So those six tiny eggs were my light in such dark moments. When I felt everything was lost, they gave me hope, the gave me a reason to smile.
On March 14, 2011, a new phase to my journey started, an experience like no other as I welcomed one by one 5 partridge and one blue silkie chicks.
A flock to call my own...beautifully made by 5 Partridge hens, 2 split blue/black hens, 1 black hen, a 2 month old white hen and a pair of AOV silkies. Along with all my silkies I now have 2 pair of morning doves (and a 2 wk baby dove) plus a pair of Ringneck Pheasants. Who knew huh?
My silkie experience has been shared with one polish rooster and a mix splash silkie mix rooster. Our journey was short lived for they were pulling too many feathers off my hens, so had to wish them farewell. Also, raised two light brahmas, the sweetest twins ever, both stole my heart but later broke it into pieces as I caught them literally pecking to death at my 2mth white hen. They corner her, then pecked her head till she was left unconstious and heavely bleeding. Not wanting to take another chance of that happening, I gave them to my neighbord and focus all my attention in caring for my injuered baby girl (funny fact, she is sleeping on my lap as I write this, she is with me 24/7 till fully recover.)
I didn't find BYC.com, it came to me when I needed it. Two weeks ago my black silkie "Bennet" lost all her head feathers, I panicked, not knowing what it was I turned to the web. My 1st site to visit and first site to give me an answer to Bennet's issue. She was molting and not only I found answers but pictures as well and better yet, I found others who had the same questions as me...in BYC.com I found everything and more than I seek and needed, I found my chicken home.
Before there were chickens, doves and pheasants...I enjoyed collecting High End Barbie Dolls, at the time I own over 675 collector Barbie dolls. Other hobbies include Die Cast Cars, Teddy Bears, Traditional Folkloric Clothes from around the world along with World Currency and World Gifts and Gadgets. I enjoy writing and poetry as well as photography and drawing and sketching. Enjoy learning phrases in other languages too!
108640_partridge_babies_1_week.jpg

108640_imag0345-1.jpg

108640_imag0041.jpg

108640_imag0158.jpg

108640_imag0029.jpg

108640_imag0039.jpg

108640_imag0507.jpg

My baby silkie...
108640_imag0396.jpg

108640_imag0009.jpg

Last edited:

Back