Hello and a bit of help

Nekatlla

Songster
Mar 7, 2017
Hello all, just wanted to pop in and say hi and then ask a question.

I recently started a bunch of eggs in the incubator, well 22 days ago. All was going well until yesterday when we hit 21 days. At lockdown I candled the eggs and had one i'd been watching the entire time that was upon inspection never fertilized. I tossed that one and entered lock down, all else looked as expected, even had some movement I was really happy with. On day 18 1/2 we had our first pip and went to bed. In the am we had a little Americuna who is now happy and healthy. We left him in the incubator for 24 hours and he had no yolk sac so I made the choice to remove him before and other eggs pipped since they weren't due for another day if they went on time. About 6 hours later we had our second pip and I thought this was pretty cool and not as hard as it was sounding on different forums. After the second pip nothing happened until 28 hours later, that is when the chick started to zip. I was still very excited and stayed up watching well into the night then went to bed at around hour 36 of the second pip which was about 12 hours into day 21. All of a sudden the chick was almost free and I had not opened it or helped him but there was a good sized spot of blood in the incubator. The chick stopped peeping and never moved again, I went to sleep and 7 hours later it still has not moved you can see the beak protruding from the egg and not moving 99.9% sure its dead. Does this happen alot or is there a cause, like to high heat or too low heat that could cause this? Also my other eggs have not even pipped still and were almost to day 22, should I candle them or just keep going another 2 days or so? Pretty big let down just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong to cause it.
Thanks

welcome-byc.gif

The good folks that populate the Incubating & Hatching forum will be able to answer your questions, here's a link to take you there:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs

I hope you get more chicks, best of luck to you!

Greetings from Kansas and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! I defer to the experts on all matters of incubating and hatching. The folks in the link NFC provided are really helpful. I hope you have a successful hatch!!
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Howdy, howdy, and welcome to Backyard chickens! I am so glad you were able to join us, and I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

G’Day from down under Nikatla
frow.gif
Welcome!

Sorry that I have no incubator experience either, just hatches under a broody hen. I do hope that the folks on the forum N F C gave you a link to where able to help.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom