Hello! And a question :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by battgirl, Sep 18, 2016.

1. battgirl

battgirl New Egg

Sep 18, 2016
    Kingston, New York
    I love this website! We live in a small city in upstate New York and got baby chicks in the spring. Now we have 5
    Lovely hens who I hope are ready to start laying soon.
    My question is: we have built into a room at the back of our garage. Early in the morning my hubby carries each girl out to a PVC run that we
    Move around the backyard so they can forage. At night we out coop them again when we get home from work. There are nesting boxes in the coop, but not in the PVC run. Do we need to make boxes so they can lay during the day? Would enclosed kitty litter boxes work? Thanks!!!

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you have joined us and congrats on getting your own flock.

Yes, you need to add nests to the PVC run or they will be laying eggs on the ground. The lay early in the morning and with each day lay a little later until a day or 2 off and restart the pattern.

IMO the kitty litter boxes sound perfect - just make sure the ones you pick have an opening made for a large cat. Although you have nests in the coop, you may want to use the kitty box there so they don't notice the difference?

Hope your DH doesn't tire of carrying those gals twice a day [​IMG]. I love my hens but think that would become a drudgery job?

Have you considered the Chicken Chunnels? Maybe you could use those and let the flock go out to the moveable run by theirselves?

Would love to see pics of your PVC moveable run.

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sunflours suggestion of Chicken chunnels is a good one.

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

x2 on sunflour

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, battgirl, and :welcome. Happy you joined us! Best wishes on your chicken adventure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by