Hello and good evening from beautiful Tustin, CA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Aerielle, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Aerielle

Aerielle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2012
    Orange, CA
    Hi Everyone, glad to join the community. I've had chickens since I was in grade school. Took some time off and now mid-thirties and getting ready to dive back in. I work with a local non profit providing an environment to learn about urban agriculture. I live on a large urban orchard.

I'm currently building a 5'x8' coop with a large run. Need to figure out the aviary netting on the run due to hawks and falcons. I have two different flocks that are waiting to be picked early December when the coop is finished. One flock is 3 Blue Ameracauna hens which are 2 yrs old, 1 Belgium hen, and 1 Silkie Roo. The other flock is 4 pullets that are 3 months old, breeds are: EE, Red Star, Naked Neck and a Silver Laced Wyandotte. The flocks are from different breeders.

My question that I have been searching for is how best to integrate the two new flocks in their new home. I've read some threads about separation and quarantine for 30 days. But since this will be a new environment/coop/run for all, can I put them in the new coop at night and hope for the best? Or should I try and build a temp screen inside the coop and have the flocks divided while they adjust?

Thanks in advance for your advice. I came across BYC in some of the poultry books I have been reading in preparation. Looking forward to having chickens again. Slightly concerned about the Roo and the neighbors tho, hoping he is a quiet one (famous last words...)

2. onedoodle3

onedoodle3 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Unfortunately, as I am on my first batch of chickens, I have no idea when to integrate...but I will be watching your thread to see what to do!!! [​IMG] It is a great question!!!

Welcome to the coop!! [​IMG]

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] It would be better to keep them separate for the first few weeks while you make sure neither flock carries any pests or diseases. To make integration easier you can put them somewhere they can all see each other, without being able to get to each other. There will probably be some bullying when you finally put them together as they'll need to sort out their pecking order, but unless they draw blood it's best to leave them to it, though it's hard!

4. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG]

I think Sumi has a good point, together but separate. I have integrated a number of new birds (new batches) into a large flock in my few short years. I must admit, I did it from chick stage up, but not with grown birds. I have had good luck with the separate but together process. Good luck. Hope your roo works out!

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you aoard! I x2 what sumi advised. Best of luck to you!

8. chickens12

chickens12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2012
    [​IMG] hope you find very useful info

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by