Hello and good evening from beautiful Tustin, CA

Aerielle

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 9, 2012
Orange, CA
Hi Everyone, glad to join the community. I've had chickens since I was in grade school. Took some time off and now mid-thirties and getting ready to dive back in. I work with a local non profit providing an environment to learn about urban agriculture. I live on a large urban orchard.

I'm currently building a 5'x8' coop with a large run. Need to figure out the aviary netting on the run due to hawks and falcons. I have two different flocks that are waiting to be picked early December when the coop is finished. One flock is 3 Blue Ameracauna hens which are 2 yrs old, 1 Belgium hen, and 1 Silkie Roo. The other flock is 4 pullets that are 3 months old, breeds are: EE, Red Star, Naked Neck and a Silver Laced Wyandotte. The flocks are from different breeders.

My question that I have been searching for is how best to integrate the two new flocks in their new home. I've read some threads about separation and quarantine for 30 days. But since this will be a new environment/coop/run for all, can I put them in the new coop at night and hope for the best? Or should I try and build a temp screen inside the coop and have the flocks divided while they adjust?

Thanks in advance for your advice. I came across BYC in some of the poultry books I have been reading in preparation. Looking forward to having chickens again. Slightly concerned about the Roo and the neighbors tho, hoping he is a quiet one (famous last words...)

welcome-byc.gif
Unfortunately, as I am on my first batch of chickens, I have no idea when to integrate...but I will be watching your thread to see what to do!!!
big_smile.png
It is a great question!!!

Welcome to the coop!!
yippiechickie.gif

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
It would be better to keep them separate for the first few weeks while you make sure neither flock carries any pests or diseases. To make integration easier you can put them somewhere they can all see each other, without being able to get to each other. There will probably be some bullying when you finally put them together as they'll need to sort out their pecking order, but unless they draw blood it's best to leave them to it, though it's hard!

welcome-byc.gif

I think Sumi has a good point, together but separate. I have integrated a number of new birds (new batches) into a large flock in my few short years. I must admit, I did it from chick stage up, but not with grown birds. I have had good luck with the separate but together process. Good luck. Hope your roo works out!

Back
Top Bottom