Hello and Help Please!

mamaoreo

Chirping
6 Years
May 27, 2017
Florida
I have been lurking here for a few years now since I have first started with chickens. Right now, I could sure use advice from more experienced folks. My rooster has absolutely torn apart one of my hens back. It's raw and on her sides the skin seems loose. I can't help but be reminded of when I separate the skin from a whole chicken to add butter in between.. eww. Well, I cleansed her back with Betadine and generously applied neosporin to the entire area. I have put her in a cage to heal and for separation from the beast. Should I be doing anything else? What should I be looking for in terms of possible infection? Lastly, has anyone used the chicken saddle and do they work.
Many thanks for any help!! My roo is mean and aggressive.. been thinking about making a stew out of him. He is still around because this is the first year he haven't lost any hens.

Sounds like your on the right track to helping her heal.
If will keep happening though...I don't have experience with saddles so I can't offer advice.
I would think more about that stew.

How old is your rooster?
How many hens do you have?

You rooster needs to be the main course at dinner. Never a good reason to keep a bad roo. The criterion should not whether he killed a hen or not. He has seriously injured the hen you are speaking about.

If you are keeping him for chicks, they are liable to have his same nasty personality.

If you don't need fertile eggs for hatching or sale, there is no need to have a rooster.

The hens will produce just as many eggs (non fertile) without him and he so much better off without him.

Sounds like your on the right track to helping her heal.
If will keep happening though...I don't have experience with saddles so I can't offer advice.
I would think more about that stew.

How old is your rooster?
How many hens do you have?
1 hen is 3 years old and the other 3 are about 1.5 years old. The rooster is about 1 year.

Usually, the recommendation is to have at least 10 to 12 hens per rooster.

You rooster needs to be the main course at dinner. Never a good reason to keep a bad roo. The criterion should not whether he killed a hen or not. He has seriously injured the hen you are speaking about.

If you are keeping him for chicks, they are liable to have his same nasty personality.

If you don't need fertile eggs for hatching or sale, there is no need to have a rooster.

The hens will produce just as many eggs (non fertile) without him and he so much better off without him.
Yes, she is hurt badly, he also attacks my husband, my son, and me! I do want fertile eggs however, I am starting to think that buying them as chicks again would be safer. Although, every year almost all my flock kept getting wiped out. We did have a really sweet roo, but one morning all but one hen was gone and nothing but his beautiful feathers all around the coop!!

A rooster is not necessarily going to keep your flock from being wiped out.
BRB..I'm going to find something you should read.

Yes, she is hurt badly, he also attacks my husband, my son, and me! I do want fertile eggs however, I am starting to think that buying them as chicks again would be safer. Although, every year almost all my flock kept getting wiped out. We did have a really sweet roo, but one morning all but one hen was gone and nothing but his beautiful feathers all around the coop!!
Also, this roo is "natural", he is a product of my nice roo and my eldest hen. Not sure why he is so hateful.

I have been lurking here for a few years now since I have first started with chickens. Right now, I could sure use advice from more experienced folks. My rooster has absolutely torn apart one of my hens back. It's raw and on her sides the skin seems loose. I can't help but be reminded of when I separate the skin from a whole chicken to add butter in between.. eww. Well, I cleansed her back with Betadine and generously applied neosporin to the entire area. I have put her in a cage to heal and for separation from the beast. Should I be doing anything else? What should I be looking for in terms of possible infection? Lastly, has anyone used the chicken saddle and do they work.
Many thanks for any help!! My roo is mean and aggressive.. been thinking about making a stew out of him. He is still around because this is the first year he haven't lost any hens.
For Him...
What I do w/ Roo's w/an Attitude is I give them the: "Hug Em Up Treatment !"
Get a hold of their feet & hold him under your arm. Walk around with him for a bit. He'll get the idea that "You're the BOSS and he'll mellow out". While, you've got him:
Moisten the base of his spurs with Lanolin or something ? 15 min? Even soak his legs !
You can either "Pop off the Spur Sheath" or give him a "Hot Potato" !
Guarding his legs w/a towel- Hold a "Hot/Baked Potato" on the Spurs for @5-15 min.
The Spur Sheaths WILL come off & after being held so much he WILL calm down !
I'm @9 to 1 right now w/ Hugs !

Back
Top Bottom