Hello and help with found California quail eggs!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jessxxx23, Jul 20, 2016.

1. jessxxx23

jessxxx23 New Egg

Jul 20, 2016
    Hi. I have no idea what im doing. Lol! I found 16 quail eggs yesterday in my planter rght outside my house, no adult quail in sight. Been checking on them since i found them yesterday (which i can easily do without disturbinf anything by looking out my front window) its veen a day and a half now with no quail sitting on them. Im starting to wonder if they are abandoned, incubating on their own from the heat (its usually 30°c here) or not viable, in which case id be xoncerned about the rotting egg smell. What do i do? How long do i wait?

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you know anything about raising quail? I'm guessing they are "wild" quail , in that case the mother may have been taken by predators or just abandoned the nest for her own reasons.

You might get good advice on the "quail thread." but I don't know anything about incubators etc. So cannot advise. I would just dispose/bury them.

3. jessxxx23

jessxxx23 New Egg

Jul 20, 2016
    I cross posted there as well. Hoping someone can tell me something to do lol. No i dont have an incubator. Was not planning on quail babies! Yes they are wild.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I think I'd be inclined to dispose of the eggs, but hopefully someone on the quail forum may offer a more positive suggestion.

Best wishes
    Ct

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Aww, sad that the mom hasn't shown up. :/

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Hope you have a wonderful summer! :)

7. jessxxx23

jessxxx23 New Egg

Jul 20, 2016
    Thank you. I guess im just wondering if theres a way to tell if the eggs are viable or not. Nobody on the quail board has responded.

8. herremagen

herremagen New Egg

Jul 21, 2016
    Candeling is a popular method in telling if there is life in an egg. It can be done with a lamp and a paper plate with a hole cut in it as ling as its done so in the dark. I know nothing about charts

9. jessxxx23

jessxxx23 New Egg

Jul 20, 2016
    I will look into it. Thabks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by