Hello and help with found California quail eggs!!!

jessxxx23

Hatching
Jul 20, 2016
Hi. I have no idea what im doing. Lol! I found 16 quail eggs yesterday in my planter rght outside my house, no adult quail in sight. Been checking on them since i found them yesterday (which i can easily do without disturbinf anything by looking out my front window) its veen a day and a half now with no quail sitting on them. Im starting to wonder if they are abandoned, incubating on their own from the heat (its usually 30°c here) or not viable, in which case id be xoncerned about the rotting egg smell. What do i do? How long do i wait?

Do you know anything about raising quail? I'm guessing they are "wild" quail , in that case the mother may have been taken by predators or just abandoned the nest for her own reasons.

You might get good advice on the "quail thread." but I don't know anything about incubators etc. So cannot advise. I would just dispose/bury them.

I cross posted there as well. Hoping someone can tell me something to do lol. No i dont have an incubator. Was not planning on quail babies! Yes they are wild.

Hi and welcome to BYC. I think I'd be inclined to dispose of the eggs, but hopefully someone on the quail forum may offer a more positive suggestion.

Best wishes
Ct

welcome-byc.gif

Aww, sad that the mom hasn't shown up. :/

Thank you. I guess im just wondering if theres a way to tell if the eggs are viable or not. Nobody on the quail board has responded.

Candeling is a popular method in telling if there is life in an egg. It can be done with a lamp and a paper plate with a hole cut in it as ling as its done so in the dark. I know nothing about charts

Back
Top Bottom