Hello and intro from Maryland

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chesapeakechickens, Dec 28, 2011.

1. chesapeakechickens

chesapeakechickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    Suburban Maryland
    I am a mom of 3 and a repurposed public school teacher now homeschooling her own. I am all about learning by doing. Our family finally took the plunge into raising backyard chickens this spring after many years of constant and careful negotiating from our oldest. I think we found BYC while searching for info about chickens and then all did lots of reading and researching on BYC all winter to prepare for our first batch of chicks. I had no idea how much we would all love this family project. We have learned so much from everyone at BYC! When we went to buy our baby chicks we were going to get 4, but somehow after some chicken math, we ended up with 10! I will admit here and now that it was my help with the math that got us to 10. We have 2 white leghorns, a silver laced wyandotte, 2 easter eggers, a buff orpington, a gold star, a rhode island red, a black australorp, and a barred rock. We also have a very energetic chocolate lab and want to add a few guinea pigs since our guinea pig passed away just days before our chicks joined us. My other hobbies, although I don't have much time for them, are sewing, needlework, crafts of any sort, crocheting, scrapbooking (way on the back burner), camping, and "scouting".

2. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    [​IMG] from Twentynine Palms in the California high desert!

3. chickygirl2

chickygirl2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    upper marlboro. md
    Welcome! I am in Upper Marlboro, Md !
    Patty [​IMG]

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    [​IMG] from Tampa, FLA

7. chesapeakechickens

chesapeakechickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    Suburban Maryland
    Quote:Hi there! Thanks for the welcome! You are close by! In fact my husband works in Upper Marlboro as a mechanic. What's involved in keeping goats? More or less to it than chickens?

8. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy from Austin, Texas.

9. Beth K.

Beth K. Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    The Funny Farm
    Welcome to BYC, chesapeakechickens! [​IMG] MD is my birth state!

Gotta love that chicken math. We were planning on 10-12 but we got 17. [​IMG]

10. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! Very happy to have you aboard!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by