Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

I knew I wouldn't have any lavender ones in the first cross, just lavender carriers. That's disappointing about the silver hackle though.
hmm.png
I wish I could find a good source online for information about chicken color genetics.
Try this one http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

Thanks, I have always like this variety.

Quick question. I was looking over some January hatch black cockerels and notice some "brassy" colored feathers. Is this what you would call sun-damaged feathers?
Birds are in large, grass pens and fed a pelleted and whole grain diet.

As you all know blue breasted reds don't breed true...if you breed blue red X blue red you get 25% black breasted red...50% blue red...and 25% splash (sport) .....is there anyway to tell ...on day old chicks.... the difference between the bb reds and the blue reds? Also can you tell the sex of the chicks? I just can't quite tell the difference until they are much older.....could someone explain this to me if there is a way to tell.....pictures of the difference would also be appreciated....Thanks, Kandi

As you all know blue breasted reds don't breed true...if you breed blue red X blue red you get 25% black breasted red...50% blue red...and 25% splash (sport) .....is there anyway to tell ...on day old chicks.... the difference between the bb reds and the blue reds? Also can you tell the sex of the chicks? I just can't quite tell the difference until they are much older.....could someone explain this to me if there is a way to tell.....pictures of the difference would also be appreciated....Thanks, Kandi

I don't own any Blue Reds and I have no clue if they can be sexed by color or not. I did take a look at Ideal's chick illustrations and here is what I found:

Blue Reds

Black Breasted Reds

To Kandiandjerry,
The BB Red, Blue red and all Duckwing varieties can be sexed at hatch based on the eye stripe. The Females will have a very pronounced eye stripe males will be lighter in color or nearly absent. This may be very difficult to see on a blue red sport. The Blues will be slightly lighter in the stripes on thier back than the BB but keep in mind the shade of blue varies widely. You will get your best and most even blue with good lacing from Blue on Blue that carry the traits you are looking for.

To Bantambabes:
Adult plumage color varies based on sex and variety, some will develop final color mush earlier than others. Brassy Back for example will often be 24-28 weeks on males and 20-22 weeks for females then the females will clean up the breast even more with the first full adult molt at 1- 1 1/2 years of age. Columbian cannot be color culled till at least 8 months, Birchen and Brown Redcan be earlier at around 18-20 weeks.

As for the value of a young cockrell that is hard to say based on his breeding background, direct source, variety, and current condition anywhere from $1 to $50.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom