Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

I have 15 Wheaton OEGB hatching & shipping tomorrow!
1f603.png
1f423.png
1f604.png
1f414.png
1f413.png
1f423.png
1f413.png
1f413.png
1f413.png
1f413.png
1f423.png

-Liv

First time chicken mom here so I need some advice ......We have a 5 month old OEGB cockerel, over the past month he has gotten VERY human aggressive and is a cute miniature 2 legged feathered terror. He chases our guests, and everyone in the family. Anyone who goes near him, the hens or even outside gets flogged, bitten or challenged. Although hes going to stay a little guy, my biggest concern is my 8 year old daughter who adores him, she has been the ONLY one able to hold him. Over the weekend he started showing signs of aggression towards her, but hasn't had the opportunity to hurt her as I or my husband stand in his way. Last night while we were sitting on the porch he ran up and attacked my husband scratching and biting his hand and left marks.(this was the hubbys last straw)
somad.gif

My daughter loves her chickens, and spends time feeding them and caring for them daily, so telling her that her beloved Rocky is a nightmare and needs to go will be hard for us and for her. My question is Did we do something to make him this way? Are all roosters this way? If not, what breed of rooster can we get to protect my hens but wont get aggressive with us or the kids? My husband is ready to throw him on the grill for mauling his hand.... and I don't feel it is right to make him someone else's problem either.

First time chicken mom here so I need some advice ......We have a 5 month old OEGB cockerel, over the past month he has gotten VERY human aggressive and is a cute miniature 2 legged feathered terror. He chases our guests, and everyone in the family. Anyone who goes near him, the hens or even outside gets flogged, bitten or challenged. Although hes going to stay a little guy, my biggest concern is my 8 year old daughter who adores him, she has been the ONLY one able to hold him. Over the weekend he started showing signs of aggression towards her, but hasn't had the opportunity to hurt her as I or my husband stand in his way. Last night while we were sitting on the porch he ran up and attacked my husband scratching and biting his hand and left marks.(this was the hubbys last straw)
somad.gif

My daughter loves her chickens, and spends time feeding them and caring for them daily, so telling her that her beloved Rocky is a nightmare and needs to go will be hard for us and for her. My question is Did we do something to make him this way? Are all roosters this way? If not, what breed of rooster can we get to protect my hens but wont get aggressive with us or the kids? My husband is ready to throw him on the grill for mauling his hand.... and I don't feel it is right to make him someone else's problem either.

welcome-byc.gif

There are many threads here about aggressive males, and many suggestions on dealing with them. Any male "can" get aggressive. Sometimes its just certain times of year, usually when the hens are most actively wanting to mate, before they go broody, or when a male has too few hens, they tend to be overly... um... "needy"... lol

Some folks will cull an aggressive rooster immediately. Some work with them. I have had one that I had to put down, he was a very good #2, but decided he wanted to be #1 and attacked the alpha male, and the alpha was actually a better flock master. #2 also became aggressive toward us also, so he had to go. I also have a bantam cochin that occasionally likes to flog my boot. I've considered getting rid of him, but he is a very good flock master, and makes beautiful babies, so I tried other things with him and normally he is very calm. I would catch him, pin he head to the ground, pick him up and carry him around, talking to him, etc. I even segregated him in a dog crate for a few hours one day. He goes in spells, can go a couple months without any aggression, then one day he decides he doesn't like my boot! But he has been wonderful with the little ones, and as many roosters that are available, you never know what you will get if you trade, so I prefer to work with this one for a while.

Some say an aggressive one cannot be "cured". Some disagree. So it all depends on your particular rooster. If you want to try to keep him, you can try working with him, or separating him for a while, and see if it helps, before grilling him. I'd suggest searching the other threads. There are other things you can try if you think you want to keep him. If not, go ahead and light the grill!

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom