Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

I just started collecting OEGB last summer, here are a few of my current birds.

creole

silver duckwing. I know these need improvement, but not sure how, any ideas?

blue

wheaton

fawn

white

didn't want to put all the pics up and take up so much space. I also have brassy blue, lemon blue (sport hen), quail, b.b. red. fawn red, black, and brassy back. I have a pair of spangles also, good type but color needs work.
That would be a Fawn silver duckwing right??? He is biased on the dun gene if so...

That would be a Fawn silver duckwing right??? He is biased on the dun gene if so...
ok you've lost me, they just called it fawn duckwing when I bought it, but I guess you would call it a fawn silver duckwing, the silver is pretty much the same.

you lost me at biased on the dun gene.? please keep in mind I realize I have a lot to learn, ive collected, now working on perfection in the lines.

I am myself learning about OEGB as this is my second year with them as well... I have owned LF chickens all my life tho and know a fair amount about genetics's (I'm not yet sure if it is possible to know allot about genetics's lol)...

OEGB are very confusing when it comes to colors... Some like the Gold and Silver Duckwings and BBR's have the same color Gene and verity name (silver duckwing is the name of that color no matter what breed it is in)(for example in dorkings silver duckwing is called silver grey)... but in other colors the names are totally different... for example allot of the splash and khaki colors are called "sports" (like blue wheaten sport or fawn duckwing sport) they really are no such thing lol but a predictable color percentage depending on what your breeding for...

So in OEGB the color gene name Dun is called Chocolate when solid colored and Fawn when in a pattern (like your fawn silver duckwing or Fawn red)... The dun is a diluter of black but will not mess with any other colors so that is y u can have your Silver duckwing show threw... the dun gene works the same as Black/Blue/Splash... so is it Black/Dun/Khaki... one Dun gene makes dun (chocolate or fawn) 2 dun genes makes khaki or fawn sports... if you have any other questions just ask away ;)
ok you've lost me, they just called it fawn duckwing when I bought it, but I guess you would call it a fawn silver duckwing, the silver is pretty much the same.

you lost me at biased on the dun gene.? please keep in mind I realize I have a lot to learn, ive collected, now working on perfection in the lines.

ok I think I understand, tell me if im right.

breeding fawn silver duckwing to fawn silver duckwing would produce fawn sports or a khaki color silver duckwing pattern.

breeding fawn silver duckwing to (black) silver duckwing will produce 50% fawn, and 50% black?

this only breeds this way with the dun gene?

how do you spot the gene in the breeding?

sorry for the questions, I have a book on breeding oe, but it doesn't cover a lot of these colors.

Answers in bold...
OK I think I understand, tell me if I'm right.

breeding fawn silver duckwing to fawn silver duckwing would produce fawn sports or a khaki color silver duckwing pattern. this would produce 50% fawn (dun), 25% sports (khaki) and 25% black (normal) silver Duckwing

Breeding A sport silver duckwing (khaki) to a black (normal) silver duckwing will make 100% fawn (dun) silver duckwing...

breeding fawn silver duckwing to (black) silver duckwing will produce 50% fawn, and 50% black? yes...

this only breeds this way with the dun gene? Dun and Blue are the only 2 genes that work this way both are diluters of black...

how do you spot the gene in the breeding? by there color they are 100% dominant genes so if they are there they will show 100% of the time...

sorry for the questions, I have a book on breeding oe, but it doesn't cover a lot of these colors.
No problem on the questions that is how we all learn... i still ask allot of questions myself...

breeding fawn silver duckwing to fawn silver duckwing would produce fawn sports or a khaki color silver duckwing pattern. this would produce 50% fawn (dun), 25% sports (khaki) and 25% black (normal) silver Duckwing ok I had an idiot attack, I counted the two fawn genes in the parent stock, each parent would only have one fawn gene. got it now thanks

when crossing it with the normal silver duckwing, will the fawn/dun gene make the black more even, and the white stay whiter? I would really like to improve my silver duckwings.

it will just lighten what black that is already there so not really changing much... if it was me i would try to find a really good SDW male to use over your fawn SDW hens... it should be allot easier to find a good SDW than a fawn SDW...
when crossing it with the normal silver duckwing, will the fawn/dun gene make the black more even, and the white stay whiter? I would really like to improve my silver duckwings.

If the coloring on your fawn duckwing is correct you could always use them with your silver duckwing. Typically silver duckwing is easier to find, but if its not in your area and you already have the fawn duckwing, you're already set.

Back
Top Bottom