Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Man, they really do NOT like to hold still for the camera. Not sure if you can see the gold tint to his neck feathers (hackle?). Also, at the bottom edge of that you can see reddish skin. Not sure why there are no feathers on his shoulders? Thanks for taking a look. I also tried to get a better pic of my hens. They were uncooperative as well. It'll be easier when they have a better coop where we can let them run loose instead of in under the kids trampoline :) Aren't they just cute? :) -Aleta G.
There's nothing I hate more than saying "I don't know" to something chicken related, but...I don't know. They're Old English Game for sure but not a color I'm familiar with. Not Self Blue, but not Porcelain. They obviously have the lavender gene, so maybe someone had some sort of project going?

ive been keeping my mouth shut on this one, I really don't know what breed either. I look at them as self blues/lavenders but the yellow in the rooster would be wrong. i have wondered too if someone crossed a self blue with a lemon blue or porcelain or even possibly a brassy back. either way they are beautiful, the type and everything looks good. if you can standardize that color i would go for it.

ive been keeping my mouth shut on this one, I really don't know what breed either. I look at them as self blues/lavenders but the yellow in the rooster would be wrong. i have wondered too if someone crossed a self blue with a lemon blue or porcelain or even possibly a brassy back. either way they are beautiful, the type and everything looks good. if you can standardize that color i would go for it.
That's kind of what it looks like to me too, but because of how lavender works it'd have to be crossed in once, and then again to express. Perhaps someone was taking one of those colors and crossing them to self blue to try and create a new color. Kinda cool looking, but then again I'm a sucker for "soft" color varieties on game fowl of any type so...

Oh my. I was hoping I just hadn't found the right breed yet. I would love to make more of the little guys, but the 3 hens and 1 roo do not a good genetic basis for a good breed make, unless by some miracle they breed true... I will give it a go this summer and see who hatches and we'll know by fall, maybe? If it does turn out that they are the result of a recessive trait expressing, might catapult me into buying a few of each of those you mentioned and seeing what craziness I can hatch out in our garage, but I was hoping it was a simple matter of picking up another roo and a hen or 2 from other lines of same breed so I can have a good healthy mix. Ah well.

Guess we'll see!
-Aleta G.
Somewhere PNW

im far from the expert here, bgmatt has been breeding a lot longer. but if I were to start buying to try lavender/self blue. I would look for a couple good hens and a rooster that shows the brassy color.

Kind of depends on what you want to do. First thing I would do is hatch what you can from these guys and see if they breed true.

I did show these pictures to a friend that works with self blue and he said if the male was fed a lot of corn and in the sun a lot that could make the brassiness in the hackle and saddle, like I said though, can't tell from a picture. So I guess I can't rule out just a sun bleached self blue as the variety. That would make breeding much simpler though. You could go to Black to improve type and feather quality and take those offspring back to these parents.

Okay. So here's the plan then. 1. Find out what a 'black' is/looks like. 2. hatch a couple eggs. 3. Find a couple of black??? to breed with (a male? couple females?)

Okay. So it's still not much of a plan...

-AG

Back
Top Bottom