Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Random OEGB thought, there are currently 40+ varieties of Old English Game Bantam and probably more that I'm not aware of, and yet I have never even heard about Partridge or Silver Pencilled, that just struck me as odd.
i have heard b.b. red be referred to partridge bred, the color patterns are similar. silver pencilled on the other hand i have not heard of, could be an excellent project for you. you have a great understanding of the genetics, im sure you could pull it off.

Quote: i have some silver penciled rock bantams i could cross in then select for type/color, but i dont know where to start with the OE line, the pencilled patterns in the silver duckwings do seem like a good place, but the white in the duckwings wings would be hard to breed out i think.

i have some silver penciled rock bantams i could cross in then select for type/color, but i dont know where to start with the OE line, the pencilled patterns in the silver duckwings do seem like a good place, but the white in the duckwings wings would be hard to breed out i think.

That's be a long road back to OEG type. I do think you'd use the Silver Duckwing on the OEG side, simply because the male pattern is the same? (Would have to double check SOP and I left it at the office). Not sure what else you'd go to.

the biggest problem i can come up with is the red bellies on the duckwing hens. the pencil patterns are similar if you look at individual feathers. in your opinion would it be best to start with a red breasted hen or a nearly white breasted hen?

i guess what im thinking right now is a cockerel and pullet line until i can get the type right.

i really cant think of a more suitable silver penciled breed. wrong comb and type on wyandottes, cochins have feathered legs and wrong type, polish with their crests, sebrite maybe but i think it would be hard to double lace the patterns.

Last edited:
Thanks! I can't really tell with the rooster but I see the difference with the hens. My silver/golden duckwings hens have always had a lot more white on their heads, neck, and chest

Back
Top Bottom