Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Pics
Shhhh don't tell my DH but I ordered some blue wheaten chicks last night. Every spring I swear I'm not going to place another chick order, and then the fever hits and I do it again. I swear I'm only going to get chicks from breeders, but I don't have an incubator because my home temperature is SO unstable, and no broody at the moment, and I want chicks, and Ideal is so convenient and they have such a great variety of colors...
th.gif

I can't wait for February 16 now, but... my hubby will find out when they come in. I don't know if I can work up my nerve to tell him before the hatch date. I don't have a coop for them.
hide.gif
Good thing he loves me so much! YAY for OEGB's!

Right now I have a cute little birchen rooster, and he needs friends his size, right?
13038_168.jpg

I want to start showing this year. I don't mind losing, I just don't want to be DQ because of not meeting the standard. Thats way I bought this boy. Please tell me anything that wrong with him. It took forever to get this pic. I know its hard to tell from a photo. I just want to be proud of him and not look like a newbie.
big_smile.png
I'm still learning. Thanks for any responses.
6236_002.jpg

I have never bred crele but the standard states that,a DQ would be-Two or more solid black or solid white feathers in primaries,secondaries or main tail feathers.Defects are listed as Excessive white fluff at base of tail in males.White more than half of the length of any feather in males.Any solid white feather in a male or female,particularly in a males sickles.Brassiness.Irregularity of barring is not considered a defect-meaning light and dark barring.But light and dark bars should stop short of being pure whit or pure black.And lacing is a defect.

How do you guys house your show birds? I know not to keep them with the hens during show season, but what should i keep them in? I have row of "rooster condos" lol, but they kinda ruin their tails on them because two sides of it is wire.
idunno.gif
so what do you guys suggest? I was thinking little pens made out of those blue barrels.

Quote:
I believe that is a silver duckwing...

I agree, I didn't see the text in the above post, definitely a silver duckwing.

Do silver duckwing have the white spots on their chest? That's what made me think birchen.

Quote:
I agree, I didn't see the text in the above post, definitely a silver duckwing.

Do silver duckwing have the white spots on their chest? That's what made me think birchen.

He could be a cross between the two, but I'd say he's just not marked well. Here's a site that has a lot of pictures of the different varieties, you can look at them there. http://www.bantychicken.com/OEGBCA/varitiemain.html

Quote:

He could be a cross between the two, but I'd say he's just not marked well. Here's a site that has a lot of pictures of the different varieties, you can look at them there. http://www.bantychicken.com/OEGBCA/varitiemain.html

Those pictures don't do much to show the difference between the two, except the more prominent white on the wing feathers of the silver duckwing. It really doesn't matter, since the hens he's getting are going to be Ideal's version of blue wheaten. He's got a funny comb and feet, but he's got the best personality! I really love him. He came from the lady running the poultry barn at our little county fair last September along with a little red ribbon. LOL She'd lost his hen, so he was her only chicken and he got a lot of attention. He's very personable and curious. Makes me want more like him!

Back
Top Bottom