Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Pics
Anybody have a guess as to what my Avitar bird is? A friend bought the mother (white bird) and father (beautiful roo looks like black breasted game bird to me) and gave me three of the pullets. Two died in a horrible ermine attack. One was very dark with coppery feathers around the neck and breast and one was a lighter russet color.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree, I didn't see the text in the above post, definitely a silver duckwing.

Do silver duckwing have the white spots on their chest? That's what made me think birchen.

He ia definately either a Silver Duckwing or Silver Wheaton(which is the same plumage pattern like the BB Red and Wheaton is basically the same).The white spots are just a non desirable trait for showing birds.A disquality for them. There is a good pic of a Silver Duckwing above and here is a good picture of a Birchen cockerel.Duckwings have complete coloring on the hackle and saddle feathers,whereas Birchen has a LACED feathering.Duckwings have white legs,Birchen has black.Totally different type of pattern and type...
58523_dscf8133.jpg

Hello again all! I am looking for a Spangled Rooster, have two hens. If anyone has one for sale or knows of someone who may please let me know, I would really appreciate. We will be at Delmarva if anyone is showing there we could always pick the roo up. Thank you!

Quote:
I like her...she could fan her tail a little more, but overall I would call her a real nice little hen...cant say for color but I like her type...

Quote:
Do silver duckwing have the white spots on their chest? That's what made me think birchen.

He ia definately either a Silver Duckwing or Silver Wheaton(which is the same plumage pattern like the BB Red and Wheaton is basically the same).The white spots are just a non desirable trait for showing birds.A disquality for them. There is a good pic of a Silver Duckwing above and here is a good picture of a Birchen cockerel.Duckwings have complete coloring on the hackle and saddle feathers,whereas Birchen has a LACED feathering.Duckwings have white legs,Birchen has black.Totally different type of pattern and type...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/58523_dscf8133.jpg

Great explanation, thanks. I knew he was nowhere near show quality when I got him. The only one I've met anywhere near here with probable show quality birds is our local APA judge, and I've never seen his birds except when some free range up by the highway...

Quote:
I think the wing carriage is fine.The wings appear a little short but it may just be the picture.I agree that I would like to see the tail more open and not at that steep of an angle.

Back
Top Bottom