Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Quote:
The bird pictured above is the result of several generations of Opal on Opal no out cross, The line that I crossed with white is doing much better now 3 generations past the cross.
If you will notice the excess tail fluff at the base of the tail, all of the Opals I have had or have seen have very loose feathering with excess under down which causes this fault, they also have fluff in the hackle feathers causing the hackle to stand out much like a D'anver. They also have a much more vertical body carriage and flatter high breast again much like a D'anver.
The Birds that resulted from the cross have been short on color but it is coming around rather well, I beleive I have 2-3 cockrells and 2-3 pullets that will be much more appropriate to show as OE this year, they are much tighter in feather with very little under down, consdierably lower, broader, and heavier in breast with better body and wing carriage. I expect it will take a nother 3-4 generations to get them right but they are showing much improvement at least to the point I beleive they are worthy of being seen.

That's sooo neat! What did you do to 'create' the color?

The color and pattern of the Opal oe has appeared off and on since the mid 1980's almost always a result of breeding Black OE after they had been crossed with Self Blue. Best quess it is a appearnace of dominant white and dun from something the black was carrying that did not appear until after a mating with another color to remove some of teh black enhancing genes. this particular color and pattern has also popped up in Vorwerks, D'Anver, and few others in other countries and continents but always from a self blue or isabel (porcelian) bird mating.
the particular birds we started with were some from a mating ron smith made in 2005 that resulted in these birds from a black pair of unknown heritage purchased from eggbid.com needless to say the color is nice and of actuall unknow origins.
There are some woking on what is being reffered to as Platinum which is a very similar appearing bird created by using a dun based bird crossed with self blue, given that dun can result in a medium to dark brown or even a very light kacki brown this is likely the same as the "Opal" oe. Both have a very similar appearance of steely grey feather color while young later molting and changing to dun as they reach maturity.
There really is no good answer to the question of where the color originated as no one really knows and geneticists are still trying to figure out whether it is new mutation of an existing color and pattern or if it is merely a incomplete dominant / incomplete recessive of existing colors and patterns.
From my standpoint it doesn't matter. I will simply correct type, feather quality and make them more OE and move on once completed. The origin will never truly be known.

Quote:
last I heard they were still discussing mid Nov. they were asking a few weeks ago to confirm they would have a turn out. I will try to find it and get more information. Personally i would like to try to make 3-4 double shows before shawnee hits.

I would like to make that one too but my November is just about full.I enjoyed their spring show.Fayetteville will be a double show.Theres only one weekend between it and Haynesville so thats probably all I can make in one month.

Quote:
last I heard they were still discussing mid Nov. they were asking a few weeks ago to confirm they would have a turn out. I will try to find it and get more information. Personally i would like to try to make 3-4 double shows before shawnee hits.

I would like to make that one too but my November is just about full.I enjoyed their spring show.Fayetteville will be a double show.Theres only one weekend between it and Haynesville so thats probably all I can make in one month.

I am going to try to stay fairly close this year, and work toward getting wayne a considerable number of points for teh Columbian. I discussed this with him teh other day and thought it would nice to get him 14-16 points before the nationals and a shot at Columbian breeder of the year. After working on the Columbian for 15 years I think he deserves some recognition as adding his birds to what I had has helped fix a few issues, it is something I do so that he can gain some official recogonition for his time and efforts.

Quote:
I have never outcrossed to another breed for any of my OE, when I feel the need to work on an aspect of my OE I either focus on the fault within the birds I have, add some bird with the trait i want from an OE breeder I trust and know very well, or choose a variety I already have here that can lend me what I want without messing the whole thing up to much.
An example of this is the Birchen and Brown red, same bird in color pattern and genetic base just a different color silver vs gold. I looked for a long time for a good birchen and could not find anything I liked so I picked up some nice Brown reds breed them for a time till I was very comfortable with them and liked the body and reproduction of teh body type. I then purchased a single pair of birchen and breed the Birchen rooster to two brown red hens. All the Cockrells were carrying both silver and gold for hackle, saddle and wing bow. All teh Pullets are Birchen. This fall I will be using the Birchen cock back over his pullets to get another cockrell, I wil also be taking one "golden" birchen cockrell back over my Brown red hens to breed out better birchen pullets. these pullets will be placed under a birchen cockrell then a cockrell from that mating will be placed over the last birchen pullets from the golden birchen male. As you can see after 4 generations i will have the size and type of the Brown Red but the birds will be birchen and I will be happy.

Quote:
I have never outcrossed to another breed for any of my OE, when I feel the need to work on an aspect of my OE I either focus on the fault within the birds I have, add some bird with the trait i want from an OE breeder I trust and know very well, or choose a variety I already have here that can lend me what I want without messing the whole thing up to much.
An example of this is the Birchen and Brown red, same bird in color pattern and genetic base just a different color silver vs gold. I looked for a long time for a good birchen and could not find anything I liked so I picked up some nice Brown reds breed them for a time till I was very comfortable with them and liked the body and reproduction of teh body type. I then purchased a single pair of birchen and breed the Birchen rooster to two brown red hens. All the Cockrells were carrying both silver and gold for hackle, saddle and wing bow. All teh Pullets are Birchen. This fall I will be using the Birchen cock back over his pullets to get another cockrell, I wil also be taking one "golden" birchen cockrell back over my Brown red hens to breed out better birchen pullets. these pullets will be placed under a birchen cockrell then a cockrell from that mating will be placed over the last birchen pullets from the golden birchen male. As you can see after 4 generations i will have the size and type of the Brown Red but the birds will be birchen and I will be happy.

And you will be happy, lol......too bad there isnt an easy way to make silver blue from those birds....still thinkin on that but decided to not go the modern route, at least not now with the birds I Have....GOOD blue oegb hens on the other hand...

Quote:
When you breed blue brassy back to blue brassy back, you have the genetic potential to get 50% blue brassy offspring, 25% splash offspring, and 25% black brassy back offspring. But every blue mating will be different, I hatched close to 80% blue brassy back from my matings this year.

Anytime you breed blue, in a perfect world, you would get the following....
Blue x Blue = 50% blue, 25% black, 25% splask
Blue x Black = 50% blue, 50% black
Blue x Splash = 50% blue, 50% splash
Black x Splash = 100% Blue (if the black is the result of a blue x blue mating, you will likely get different results than if you used a black that does not have any blue in its recent history)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom