Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Quote:
With Barred Hen: You can get 2 different colors in pullets Black, and Barred,
Cockrells Barred.

Do you know about the roo he is talking about? is he split for Barring?

He is Buff barred and demonstrates it very well, too clean of a barred pattern to be split.

Quote:
Do you know about the roo he is talking about? is he split for Barring?

He is Buff barred and demonstrates it very well, too clean of a barred pattern to be split.

then How is he producing Black hens?.. or did you mean Black Barred?

So I had no interest at all in OEGB birds but I went to a friend's place and she had one. I could not resist picking her up because she was so friendly, and I was SHOCKED at how heavy she was! She was so small and weighed more than the silkie roo who was at least twice her size. These are DENSE little birds! It was like she worked out all day or something!

Just wanted to share that.
smile.png

Quote:

then How is he producing Black hens?.. or did you mean Black Barred?

Wow, we will dig even deeper then,
If, the Buff Barred male is heterozygous for barring B/B and the Female Black Barred is heterozygous for barring B/B and both are extended black in base then all the offspring from that mating will be black barred in appearence with the potential for some gold leakage in hackle of both sexes, saddle and wing bow of males.

If:
the Buff Barred male is Homozygous for barring B/b and the Female Black Barred is heterozygous for barring B/B and both are extended black in base then all the Male offspring from that mating will be black barred in appearence with the potential for some gold leakage in hackle, saddle and wing bow. The Females can be Black or Black or Black Barred in appearance.

If:
the Buff Barred male is heterozygous for barring B/B and the Female Black Barred is homozygous for barring B/b and both are extended black in base then all the Male offspring from that mating will be black barred in appearence with the potential for some gold leakage in hackle, saddle and wing bow. The Females can be Black or Black or Black Barred in appearance.

Either way using the Black barred hen is still the route to go in the long term as the Buff hen will introduce a great deal of other colors and problems in the BC1 and later generations.

Quote:
Are you able to have roosters where you live or are you limiting him to hens / pullets? I have some friends headed that way I believe and maight be able to send him something for spring shows if we can set that up.
Crossroads will be Oct 28, I will be able sex and send either Blue wheaton, or Black the pullets would work out well for spring shows, any cockrells would be best for next year as they would be too young but if I can send them with a friend of ours they would be free to him, to get him started right.

We are allowed to have roosters and hens. We are in farm country! I would appreciate the help in getting him started. We have been having an awful time trying to find anything w/o paying $70 for shipping and the risk in that is stressful after putting the money into it. That's why we thought this would be our best bet. We are for sure going to be there. Already have the hotel room reserved and are going with a friend who is showing ducks and geese.

Quote:
Are you able to have roosters where you live or are you limiting him to hens / pullets? I have some friends headed that way I believe and maight be able to send him something for spring shows if we can set that up.
Crossroads will be Oct 28, I will be able sex and send either Blue wheaton, or Black the pullets would work out well for spring shows, any cockrells would be best for next year as they would be too young but if I can send them with a friend of ours they would be free to him, to get him started right.

We are allowed to have roosters and hens. We are in farm country! I would appreciate the help in getting him started. We have been having an awful time trying to find anything w/o paying $70 for shipping and the risk in that is stressful after putting the money into it. That's why we thought this would be our best bet. We are for sure going to be there. Already have the hotel room reserved and are going with a friend who is showing ducks and geese.

Would he be interested in Wheaton or Blue Wheaton or black? If so I will find someone who will transport them.

Quote:

Would he be interested in Wheaton or Blue Wheaton or black? If so I will find someone who will transport them.

Jarvis' blue wheatens and blacks are real nice. I wish I had room for a pen of the blue wheatens. Right beside the silver blues and chocolates
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom