Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Quote:
Hackle and saddle are too light, Wing Bow and wing bay is nearly absent, legs are too long, and tail is too short. You could enter him in a show but results would not likely be positive.

So, not to sound stupid, but my son and I are trying to follow. We understand and see what you mean on everything except "wing bow" and "wing bay". What is that referring to?

Quote:
Hackle and saddle are too light, Wing Bow and wing bay is nearly absent, legs are too long, and tail is too short. You could enter him in a show but results would not likely be positive.

So, not to sound stupid, but my son and I are trying to follow. We understand and see what you mean on everything except "wing bow" and "wing bay". What is that referring to?

its the color of they Fly feathers..

edit..
wingbay.jpg

Last edited:
Wing bay is the flight feathers, as nicalanda has shown, and the wingbow is right below their shoulder, see above where he circled, the reddish colored patchy spot, almost covered by his hackle feathers? That is his wing bow. I will try to find a pic to show you.

Quote:
Thank you both! Do you mind if I print this picture off? Makes a lot of sense seeing it specified.

Wont bother me. It isnt my bird but I dont see why anyone would mind.

Quote:
you can have splash or "Sport" in any blue variety which will include, Blue Red, Blue Wheaton (he is most likely one of these) silver Blue, lemon Blue, Blue Brassy back, Blue Silver Duckwing etc. the list goes on and on..

some "breeders" swear by using them, however with his extreme color differences the resulting blue offspring will likely quite poor (un-even) in color. I am not a fan of splash "sport" in breeder pens now if you had one that was very even in color it may work better.

What could I expext if I crossed him with a blue or blue red? Would they all be sport/splash? How about a black hen?

Quote:
you can have splash or "Sport" in any blue variety which will include, Blue Red, Blue Wheaton (he is most likely one of these) silver Blue, lemon Blue, Blue Brassy back, Blue Silver Duckwing etc. the list goes on and on..

some "breeders" swear by using them, however with his extreme color differences the resulting blue offspring will likely quite poor (un-even) in color. I am not a fan of splash "sport" in breeder pens now if you had one that was very even in color it may work better.

What could I expext if I crossed him with a blue or blue red? Would they all be sport/splash? How about a black hen?

What are you trying to accomplish? there really is no point in a cross with black just junk birds will result. as far as anything else if you don't know what he is and as un-even as he is in color I would not breed anything from him anyway. if he is actually a Blue Red splash, then the only mating that could produce something worth while would be over BB red (Blue Red Parent variety) hens. But if he is Blue Wheaton then thats all junk too.

Quote:
here is what I see, among other things, that would prevent me from wanting to breed from teh bird.
lets say he is Blue Red "Sport" splash.
Hackles are too light and fade lighter, much like a wheaton
Wing Bow is incomplete and travels into wing bar
Wing Bay is partially present and broken.
Comb has far too many points
Uneven Body Color

Now lets say he is Blue Wheaton "Sport" splash
Top hackle color is ok but the ends are white not orange,
Wing Bow is too dark, and travels into wing bar
Wing Bay is too dark and incomplete and broken
Comb has far too many points
Uneven in body color

Back
Top Bottom