Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Back to the sport question- I was told this guy was a sport but if sport is just another name for splash what is he except maybe a mix? You really can't tell be the pics but he's very splash/speckled in the breast but I don't believe splashes have the red on them.
hu.gif

19303_chickens_sept_8_2011_009.jpg

19303_chickens_sept_8_2011_012.jpg

Quote:
you can have splash or "Sport" in any blue variety which will include, Blue Red, Blue Wheaton (he is most likely one of these) silver Blue, lemon Blue, Blue Brassy back, Blue Silver Duckwing etc. the list goes on and on..

some "breeders" swear by using them, however with his extreme color differences the resulting blue offspring will likely quite poor (un-even) in color. I am not a fan of splash "sport" in breeder pens now if you had one that was very even in color it may work better.

I am in the process of building a set of cages. I would like to eventually use them for a few show birds. So far I have a double decker frame from 2x4's. It is 7 feet long and 25" deep. The top deck has a solid floor made from a kitchen countertop witha formica surface. The bottom deck will have wire flooring. I have decided to put 4 cages on each level, with two of the panels on each deck removable so that I could have 4 small or 2 larger cages.

Here is my question. In order to keep you show birds looking nice, what kind of wire do you recommend on the sides, front and bottom of the cage? How about the back? I was thinking of making the back solid, but not sure what to use. I have some smooth wood sheeting or I can use metal sheeting.... or would it be better to keep the whole thing open more and just use wire on the back as well?

Sometimes I get in a hurry when I'm doing projects like this, then I wish I had done things a little different.

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

Our conditioning stalls have smooth,solid sides and back.I leave the fronts open with screen wire to not damage feathers.I use deep pine shavings in the floor of all of these pens.

Thanks! That helps so much! I kind of glad you said use wood. I have more of that available and it is eaier for me to work with than the metal.

Since the cages will be about 26 or so inches high, I could probably run solid siding around about a foot high, then screen above that for more ventilation. We have such EXTREME temps here. Heat indexes were over 120 some days her this past July, then in the winter it is not uncommon to have temps lower than -10 degrees. It was -18 several days this last winter with wind chills approx -50. I worry more about the heat and humidity, but with these smaller birds, the cold is an issue, too.

Quote:
here is a 6 hole indoor conditioning / trio breeder pen for an example. The Pic is turned sideways but will give you an idea.
For bantams you will want the roost pole at about 2 - 2 1/2 inches from the floor so that they cannot walk under it. This will save the tails of both males and females. you can often house 2 females together in pens this size during conditioning but cocks and cockrells you will want only 1 per hole.

30249_sany1406.jpg

here are a set of plans for that type pen,
30249_indoor_breeder_pen.jpg

Back
Top Bottom