Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Had to get my sister to help me post my pictures.
Here are two of my cockerels. These are late may and mid june hatches. Just coming out of their first molt. These may need a lot of work, but that is what I am working on to be able to help the 4H kids and their birds. I need to be able to show them what is wrong with all the birds, so they will learn, and I have to start with my own birds and show the kids the defaults in my birds first.
First is band # 2853.
92896_2011_pictures_049.jpg

92896_2011_pictures_047.jpg

The next 2 pictures are of bird # 2854
92896_2011_pictures_051.jpg

92896_2011_pictures_050.jpg

I will try to get pictures up in the morning of my pullets. This years hatch are all crosses with the bb/red cock with blue red hens, or blue/red cock on bbred hens. Yes I do have some color differences with my pullets.
sad.png
Not sure just what to keep. Most of my chicks are sold to kids, so I usually don't keep but 3 of each. That is what I have, 3 cockerels, and 3 pullets. I messed up and I only have one brown/red cockerel. Sold too many chicks, and didn't get any pullets.
I will take a picture of that bird too. Those are 2 different birds. just different hatch dates, but you can tell that.

Hello
Im new here to this web site we live in Lafayette Indiana area.Im looking for OEGB show quality birds.If anybody can help me I would be very thankful.I would like a couple trios really like blues and whetons

thank you all for any help

Quote:
You will find with the Bue red, it will be easier to maintain the female pattern and proper body color in the female using the BB red with Blue Red. When breeding for Blue red males mate Blue x Blue as this allows you to insure you are breeding for proper lacing of the blue.
Watch both males and females closely to prevent "hackle fade" do not breed from birds with hackles that start dark and fade to a lighter color.

The Bottom bird above the one you want to keep, the top bird shows considerable hackle fade, and leakage of wing bow into wing bar, and a weak wing bay. teh Bottom bird mated to good hen line BB red hens will result in good Blue red pullets, BB red Pullets, and a few cockrells that should be good breeders. just have to be picky.

Last edited:
Quote:
You have chose a very bad time of year to look for these birds, you may be able to locate some breeder quality at a show in teh sales area. be carefull and very picky about what you buy and from who.
Other option is take a pocket full of cash, and buy them in the show coop and wait for coop out. Some will sell the birds they are showing.

smile.png
Its all a learning process. It takes a lot of time to study the birds, and it hard to turn your head and cull. I wish they were a male line, but, oh well its what I got, and maybe my hens will show well someday.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I prefer Female line OE over male lines, with teh female lines you can get a good showable on a regular basis but with hard male lines you will not see a good showable female, especially in the BB red or Blue Red. The Blue Red hen is a stunning sight when correct. It should be a BB in all apearances just replace the black primaries of wing and tail with Blue. All back, and patterned feathers are un-altered. the female line Blue reds are harder to breed but worth teh efforts.

Back
Top Bottom