Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Quote:
Was that a cross of Red Pyle and Silver Duckwing? If so I would think it would be fairly easy to refine over a few generations however the males may easily be mistaken for white. Maintaining teh salmon breast in teh females would through them off as to what to call them but a Silver Pyle would be a good discription.

if the silvers at any time where crossed to Black Breasted Red one could expect some autosomal red leakage thru the boy's shoulders. unless a pure line of Silvers are used

Quote:
Was that a cross of Red Pyle and Silver Duckwing? If so I would think it would be fairly easy to refine over a few generations however the males may easily be mistaken for white. Maintaining teh salmon breast in teh females would through them off as to what to call them but a Silver Pyle would be a good discription.

Yes, they are just the first generation cross of Silver Duckwing and Red Pyle. The pullets have a deeper colored salmon bread than my Red Pyle hens.

Quote:

if the silvers at any time where crossed to Black Breasted Red one could expect some autosomal red leakage thru the boy's shoulders. unless a pure line of Silvers are used

At this point the cockerels are still carrying gold and possibly mahogany. Some of my Silver Duckwing cockerels have a few red feathers at the base of their neck when they are young. Don't all Silver Duckwing OEGB's have AP (autosomal pheomelanin)? Isn't AP what allows the salmon breast in silver females? Or are they double mated?

Quote:
Autosomal red is as of yet a not documented enough gene. all we know is that enhances red and behaves like mahogany but not as powerful.

an ongoing debate can be found on "The Classroom" genetic forums.
http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=24327&page=all

here is a quote
Quote:
I have seen silver duckwing hens with Dark salmon breast and some with light salmon breasts, could this be a case of Autosomal red? I don't know..

Quote:
below hens have very pale salmon breast. could this be lack of autosomal red? I don't know
lightSalmonBreast.jpg

This enhanced salmon breasted he is a Wellsummer hen for comparison (wellsumer breed being suspected for autosomal red)
DuckwingWelsummerBantamFemale.jpg

I have some questions for OEGB breeders. I am thinking about getting a few.
I saw some at a show and they are absolutely beautiful. I have some questions about them.

1. Are the cockerels friendly?

2. How do the pullets lay?

3. Are they a lot of work to show?

4. Are the friendly?

5. How much do they usually cost?

6. they are recognized by the APA right?

and what about dubbing......how does that work?

I really like the silver duckwing and blue wheaten

1. each one is different at least each of mine I have one that is ok as long as my hubby doesn't stick his hand in there lol he doesn't like man hands lol not to fond of being cuddled then I have my blue breasted red who loves to be held and cuddled and follows me around whenever he sees me lol

2. I have one hen that lays 6 eggs a week she's and egglaying machine lol

3. I don't know about showing I need to find out I've been wanting to show mine but can't find a show around here

4. see number one lol

5. I payed $50.00 for my red pyle pair but I hatched the rest from a friends show quality eggs I payed 15.00 for 62 eggs
smile.png

6. yup

and what about dubbing......how does that work? they have to be dubbed for show and I had a very interesting experience dubbing our lf american game haven't got around to the OEGBs "yet" but it is def. an experience we had youtube going and a print out of destructions on had while dubbing rocky our american game lf
smile.png

1. It depends on the individual bird and what line it is from... some lines tend to be a little aggresive.

2. Some Old english lay regularly whereas others do not... i say average.

3. Old english are one of those breeds that can be intense to keep feathers from chipping. They tend to need quite a bit of space to condition.

4. 4h kids love old english for thier personalities and friendliness... but there is the occasional snotty or wild bird.

5. Depends who you get them from. Id say $15-100 each with the better birds being on the higher end.

6. Yes

Dubbing is a way to clean up the look of an old english. Thier sleek body looks off balanced with wattles and combs. But it gives a historic sense of tradition from the cock fighting days, thou the bantams were not used but were supposed to mimmic thier larger counterpart.

Silver Duckwing can be difficult for some because sunlight tints the silver to yellow and takes away that neat contrast. Blue Wheaten is a good choice just if you are planning on showing watch the color of the females.

Not trying to sound un-incouraging. Just preparing people for reality. They are not gooshy silkies. The super tame birds seem to get lazy and do not show well, but crazy birds are embarrasing. Just relize the reality, as we should be diligent, not 50%'ing it.

Zach

Back
Top Bottom