Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Its actually two mamas and it looks like they are sharing the babies pretty well, do I need to give them medicated feed since they are with the mamas or just regular starter?
Personally I give my chicks that are with the broody mommas medicated chick starter. It may not be necessary, but it doesn't hurt the hen to eat some of it as long as you are not eating the eggs.

I agree with bantiesrule that the chicks raised by the broody are healthier. PLUS it's so much fun to watch the mommas scratch and cluck and talk to the little ones.

What you want to know about them? The Color is actually based on the Old standard With darker hackle color and the brown comes from the brown based black and dark brown undercolor in the feather. So many you see anymore are lighter hackled like a lemon hackle and the black and underdown is wrong..
What do I know about them? Honestly, not much. I am one to do a lot of reading, and my Standard of Perfection is my bible in the chicken world. I'ts an old one, but still works for me. I recently joined the ABA, but haven't purchased the ABA standard yet. The is on the agenda.

When I get them I will have to look them over closely, and probably just do on-line comparisons. I know no one else that has any, and seriously doubt that anyone in this area has any. I haven't even seen any at the few shows I have attended. I am hoping I can have some in show condition for whatever is the next show I attend, and I imagine I will learn as much or more then as any reading I can do. The last show I wanted to go to the birds I was going to bring (black rosecombs and silver duckwing old English) went into a pretty heavy molt right before I was going to send in my registration.

Thanks for the info about their color. I'll have to see if I can tell the diffence in the hackle color and underdown that you mention.

What do I know about them? Honestly, not much. I am one to do a lot of reading, and my Standard of Perfection is my bible in the chicken world. I'ts an old one, but still works for me. I recently joined the ABA, but haven't purchased the ABA standard yet. The is on the agenda.

When I get them I will have to look them over closely, and probably just do on-line comparisons. I know no one else that has any, and seriously doubt that anyone in this area has any. I haven't even seen any at the few shows I have attended. I am hoping I can have some in show condition for whatever is the next show I attend, and I imagine I will learn as much or more then as any reading I can do. The last show I wanted to go to the birds I was going to bring (black rosecombs and silver duckwing old English) went into a pretty heavy molt right before I was going to send in my registration.

Thanks for the info about their color. I'll have to see if I can tell the diffence in the hackle color and underdown that you mention.
Here are a few of my Hens in photos of course.

I went out to check on the chicks this morning and two of them were dead, the hens seem like they are protective and good mothers but I'm wondering if I should go ahead and remove them or just see how it goes, this is the first time I've had chicks hatch and the first time the hens have hatched any.

Here are a few of my Hens in photos of course.
Going from memory of what the ones I will be getting look like.... yours look very much like what I remember. I really like the shape or type of your hens. I'm hoping I can get mine sometime in the next few weeks. I'll try to post pictures then, and maybe get some pointers. I'll try to find out where she got her stock from. I think she has been raising them for about 5-6 years. She and I are both terrible with names.
hide.gif

Back a few years ago when she started getting the old english, I couldn't understand what she liked about them. Once she talked me into them and I had some for a while I fell in love with them. They have such great little personalities. I now have BBreds, silver duckwing and soon the brown reds.

lethldragon-not sure why your chicks would be dead. You may want to take some time and just observe them with the hen. If something isn't right or they are stressed or she isn't taking care of them, go ahead and remove them.

Going from memory of what the ones I will be getting look like.... yours look very much like what I remember. I really like the shape or type of your hens. I'm hoping I can get mine sometime in the next few weeks. I'll try to post pictures then, and maybe get some pointers. I'll try to find out where she got her stock from. I think she has been raising them for about 5-6 years.
In the event you decide to add to them I will have some available before long.

Back
Top Bottom