Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

pop.gif
Thank you all for the education, I'm learning a lot! I still don't understand the calculator. It's over my head. I do know I'd like a BBred pullet to work on my hatchery creles, but I will understand more as time goes on so please keep teaching!

I bought some oegbs from a hatchery this spring and there were 3 chocolates in there. Here is a picture of one of the roos, the other one is about the same color. I know it's hard to tell by the picture but he almost looks more like a silver-blue. Is silver-blue a by-product of chocolate or how do they come about?

bantiesrule - A Silver Blue is a Birchen with one copy of the blue gene (Bl bl), which turns the black feathers blue. I read a bit about Chocolate OEGB on Ideal's website (they are the only hatchery I found with Chocolate OEGB) and their Chocolates have the dun or fawn gene (I-D). The dun gene, like the blue gene, modifies/dilutes black pigment. As far as I know they are separate genes and one is not a by-product of the other. I know there is a bit of debate in the chicken world about true Chocolate genetics vs. dun/fawn genetics and which is what. Can anyone else shed some light on Chocolate OEGBs?

true chocolate is a sex linked recessive that turns black to brown.
dun however is a variation on the same locus as dominant white, and acts much like blue in the dilution of color, but produces shades of brown, rather than blue/grey.

i+/i+ = wild type (no changes)
I/I = recessive white
I^s/I^s = smokey - black becomes an intermediate grey (like blue)
I/I^s = smokey (smokey is dominant over dominant white)
I^d/I^d
= khaki - black becomes a light brown (double factor autosomal dominant, akin to splash)
I^d/i+ = dun/chocolate (single factor autosomal dominant, this would be akin to the blue)

bantiesrule - A Silver Blue is a Birchen with one copy of the blue gene (Bl bl), which turns the black feathers blue.
i thought a silver blue would be a blue breasted silver duckwing... I have a couple of these chicks (no idea on sex yet), from silver duckwing hen and barred blue breasted gold duckwing roo.

i've had several others in the past and they were very attractive, but i can't find the pics.

edit: i guess it could be birchen (crow wing) or duckwing, depending on whether the roo has the wing patch (duckwing), or the hen has the salmon breast and red/brown body (vs black/blue for birchen)

Last edited:
ok good to know. i'm still new to oegb naming schemes. every breed has something different i think

my primary breed is dorkings. they have silver grey (silver duckwing), red (bbr) and colored (messed up LOL).

the colored dorking looks basically like a gold duckwing with striped hackles for the roo, and the matching hen would have nearly black feathers with gold shafting, dark salmon breast with black tipping on the feathers and dark striping on the hackles. maybe someone can give me a clue what this might be that would breed true. (i know gold won't)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom