Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

I bought some oegbs from a hatchery this spring and there were 3 chocolates in there. Here is a picture of one of the roos, the other one is about the same color. I know it's hard to tell by the picture but he almost looks more like a silver-blue. Is silver-blue a by-product of chocolate or how do they come about?

Would anyone know what color this is then and what I could expect for chicks from him? I have a hen that is about the same color (hatchery says chocolate), a blue hen, a black hen and some spangles. Would it be possible to get blue spangles? Thanks for any help.

Purely Poultry

He's not a true blue either, his neck feathers are sorta silver laced- he looks much better in real life than the pictures show.

I looked at Purely Poultry and they don't list Chocolate in their OEGBs, nor do they list Silver Blue. Their selection does include Blue Silver Duckwings, but to me he doesn't really look Duckwing colored. Do you know if they hatch the chicks themselves or if they use other breeders/suppliers? I have to say that I do find it a little odd that their Old English Game bantam picture shows a rooster with big, white Dutch-looking earlobes though.
hu.gif
He looks like a Silver Blue to me, but you may just have to wait until he gets a little older to see what color he turns out to be. As far as what kind of chicks to expect, there is a link to a color calculator a few pages back that you can use to help determine what colors you could end up with out of your hens with him.

Purely Poultry

He's not a true blue either, his neck feathers are sorta silver laced- he looks much better in real life than the pictures show.
he could still be blue *something* the blue gene doesn't make the bird entirely blue, but turns whatever feathers would normally be black into blue.

not a great pic but here's my barred blue breasted gold duckwing roo ...

he's in a serious moult right now so nothing looks 'right' with him. but you can see he's blue not black on the darker feathers...

for comparison here's a pic of my 2 crele (barred bbr)

he could still be blue *something* the blue gene doesn't make the bird entirely blue, but turns whatever feathers would normally be black into blue.

not a great pic but here's my barred blue breasted gold duckwing roo ...

he's in a serious moult right now so nothing looks 'right' with him. but you can see he's blue not black on the darker feathers...

for comparison here's a pic of my 2 crele (barred bbr)

Hey, is that my roo (left)? He sure looks like him!

Hey, is that my roo (left)? He sure looks like him!Hey, is that my roo (left)? He sure looks like him!
lol yup. kinda wishing i'd kept him now. LOL going back sunday to see if my friend's got any more that i can't resist. LOL

would you believe that speckle and the other crele roo are bestest buddies? i would have never guessed that.

Purely Poultry doesn't have chocolates listed on their website but the catalog they sent me has them listed along with many other colors. It's my believe they get their OEGB chicks from Ideal hatchery but I don't know for sure. There are alot of colors like gold laced, silver laced, etc. that I haven't seen anywhere but Ideal. I know the chicks came from Texas while Purely Poultry is based in Wisconsin.

lol yup. kinda wishing i'd kept him now. LOL going back sunday to see if my friend's got any more that i can't resist. LOL

would you believe that speckle and the other crele roo are bestest buddies? i would have never guessed that.
I love my boy! I know, right? That is so strange, but good because you don't have to worry about fights.

Back
Top Bottom