Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

It is said that a layer should eat a 16% & breeders a 20% protein ration..... I did the math with the Pearson's or Dairyman's square, but then made not of fat content..... alot of people let the layer ration be available 24/7 & feed the scratch in small supplemental meals: A) for the nutrition B) to keep the birds busy & entertained

Here's how I mix. I do 2 separate mixes, then mix them together for a 20% ration. The big gals are molting & I have some juveniles in the flock... (note, I feed standards, have 1 OEGB)

Start with a square.... put the % you want to achieve in the center.... write the % of the 1st feed at the top left.... write the % of the 2nd feed at the bottom left.... take the top left # & center # and write the difference at the bottom right... take the bottom left # & the center # & write the difference at the top right... your "parts" can be 1cup, 1 bucket whatever you want..... mix accordingly.... the top "part" is how many of the top feed, bottom "part" is how many of the bottom feed.... you can adjust the center # for however much % your birds need

Hope that helps!!

So you mix your feeds 8 parts layer & 3 parts scratch?

Sorted and moved all the birds yesterday. I put all the young cockerels in a nice grow out pen with lots of places to fly up to. Have about 11 that show lots of promise. I'm helping my boy with his 4-H bird, our fair is in a few weeks. Can't wait.

just thought i'd post a note here, if anyone's in the sw virginia area... I've decided to thin the flock a bit, and my oegb are all now for sale.

I've got 3 crele pullets and 2 crele roosters available - one isn't true crele, he's a blue barred gold duckwing, but bred to crele hens will produce crele, blue crele, as well as barred gold and silver duckwings.

I'll be taking them to the Roanoke TSC swap tomorrow, but thought I'd mention it here, in case anyone's local and interested... here's a pic of the crele roo (taken last month), and a pic of the other (about 3 - 4 months old last year).

Can you leave a OEGB roo with his hen and their babys or will he hurt them?They just hatched yesterday.

UPDATE
My 2 babies are doing great. Daddy is so good with them.They are both great first time parents. :)

Last edited:
Can you leave a OEGB roo with his hen and their babys or will he hurt them?They just hatched yesterday.
depends on the roo. i left my 2 broodies with their roo, they hatched out 16 and he was great until day 2 or 3. then he started snatching and shaking the chicks. he got booted pretty quick. didn't kill any, but i wasn't going to take the chance either.

It depends on both the roo and the hen. Some roos just kill chicks. Some hens get so nervous that they freak out and then the roo tries to "fix" things by getting rid of chicks. If everyone is calm it works out fine. I separate them for a time just because I find the first few days they are most at risk. Then if I find the mom is very nervous I leave them separated. Protective is good but loud and freaking out is not. Right now I have 3 youngsters 2 weeks old(purchased so no mama), 6 more 6-8 weeks old with 2 different mamas, all in with my flock of 1 roo and 7 hens. Everyone gets along fine. When I add new ones to the flock I am careful though. I leave them in a cage at first right up against the big coop so the adults can get use to them. When I put them in I do everything I can to distract everyone by giving a lot of different foods. (Mine love the leaves from my huge old apricot tree. It gets a pruning every time I add someone!) Make sure to spread the food out because the older ones will teach the chicks their place by not letting them eat or drink when they are close by. May people say you need to keep them separated till they are 16 weeks but that's not always true.

I bought these two a couple of weeks ago. I am not sure what they are, but I have been told that they are Red Pyle OEGB. Any ideas? Pip (the mom) is the size of a dove, if that big.

Back
Top Bottom