HELLO BYC FOLKS!! New kid on the block signing in from Morganton NC, in Burke county.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I have been raising chickens since I was 11 years old. My grandfather raised fighting cocks his entire long life, and didn't have the heart for that but loved the barnyard breeds, been raising ever since.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
30+ right now....but that always depends on how aggressive the varmints are.
The past year we lost all (20+) of our Golden Wyandotte and Jersey giants & black sex links to owls, hawks, coyotes, weasels, possums and racoons....Free range chickens live a hard life here.

(3) What breeds do you have?
Silver Wyandotte, Saphire Gem, Golden Comet

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Eggs, petship (if that is a word), just watching them forage

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
gardening, greenhouse, raising fish in my pond, shooting sports.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Born and raised in Morganton which is in Burke County NC, Kids are grown and started their own families. The wife and I have 2 Great Danes, 2 chihuahuas, 1 overweight mini pincer, 4 cats (mouse, rat and mole control) The wife and I both work from home as facility managers for two giant Fortune 500 and Fortune 50 companies.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I have visited the site a million times over the past, who knows how many years, for ideas, advice, and just plain ole good reads. I figured it was time to dip my toe in the water and join on up!
Welcome to BYC!!

Welcome to the coop! I use the Forums and Articles tabs at the top of the page to do research. You can get lost for hours. It's nice to know you are minutes away from getting help with questions and emergencies! I always check in the "What's New" section as well at the top of this page. This way I can read how I may have a similar question or help give some advice.

Back
Top Bottom