1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello BYC!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chknmama8, Sep 13, 2011.

1. chknmama8

chknmama8 New Egg

Sep 13, 2011
    I'm a newbie to this forum although I have turned to it many times over the last year since we got our first brood! We got 21 chicks a year ago in May (ordered twice as many as we wanted, which was 10, since they say the little peeps don't often make it, and low and behold we never lost a chick!) but are now down to 15 grown hens and 1 rooster. We have a mix of Americana's, Austrolorpes, Dominque's and New Hampshire Red's - 5 of each. We lost 5 this summer in the crazy Oklahoma heat wave but have learned now how to better manage the heat for them. Since then we've hatched a few chicks (some successful and some unsuccessful) and have 3 little ones - two that are 6 weeks old and one that is 4 weeks. We also have three dogs who love the chickens - two basset hounds and one pug and a barn cat.

Glad to finally get on here and participate!

2. Symphony

Symphony Vanilla, Little Airt Airt

[​IMG]

3. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. so glad you joined. I like the way you jumped right in and didn't let a litte chicken math bother you. [​IMG]

6. chknmama8

chknmama8 New Egg

Sep 13, 2011
    Thank you all very much! Love this forum! Its helped me through a lot! I never knew how much I didn't know until I had Chickens!!

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana! So glad you joined! [​IMG]

9. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:[​IMG]

Welcome to BYC! It sounds like you've got your hands full out there in Oklahoma! In mentioning the breeds of chicken that you have, I wanted to share a blog entry on the differences between Ameraucanas, Araucanas and Easter Eggers with you, as I think it may be of interest to you (plenty of hatcheries sell what they call "Americanas" but there is no such breed) : http://networkedblogs.com/muYl3

10. Amigo

Amigo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Your house!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by