Hello chicken friends!! From Polk county, FLA

Fowl_Language_

Chirping
Feb 7, 2023
Central Florida
My name is Melissa and I’ll be getting some chicks from a friend soon. I’ve never raised chickens but I am super excited!

1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
-
Yes, they aren’t even hatched yet and should be ready by April!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I hope to have 4 depending on how many my friend hatches!

(3) What breeds do you have?

Not sure yet but I believe she has a mixture of different breeds. She has some bantams, and I’m not sure of the other breeds.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Well I have two kids, my oldest is 4 and I want him to learn how to raise chickens and possibly get in a 4H club.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I like to garden and I love plants, bees and frogs! I also love wine, and I sew and play video games.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I have a lovely little family, my husband and I, and a 10 month old daughter and my 4 year old son! I am a SAHM. I’m originally from MA and have been in Florida for 10 years now! I’m a big Pats and Red Sox fan :)

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I found BYC by searching for coop plans online! I’m so glad I stumbled upon this awesome site. It will surely be helpful. Thank you for creating it!

I hope to find myself a little second family here! I’m sure I’ll be asking a lot of question soon because I will be taking in baby chicks around April.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens. this is a great place to explore.
Do you have a heating pad. Make a cave they can go in or not.
I don’t have a heating pad for animals, just humans :) . I have a large cardboard box for them to go In but I think I’d like to find something plastic. I may still have my old dog crate but I need to check, that would probably work the best! I’m already seeing all the great info on here, can’t wait to go down the rabbit hole!

My name is Melissa and I’ll be getting some chicks from a friend soon. I’ve never raised chickens but I am super excited!

1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
-Yes, they aren’t even hatched yet and should be ready by April!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I hope to have 4 depending on how many my friend hatches!

(3) What breeds do you have?
Not sure yet but I believe she has a mixture of different breeds. She has some bantams, and I’m not sure of the other breeds.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Well I have two kids, my oldest is 4 and I want him to learn how to raise chickens and possibly get in a 4H club.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I like to garden and I love plants, bees and frogs! I also love wine, and I sew and play video games.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have a lovely little family, my husband and I, and a 10 month old daughter and my 4 year old son! I am a SAHM. I’m originally from MA and have been in Florida for 10 years now! I’m a big Pats and Red Sox fan :)

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I found BYC by searching for coop plans online! I’m so glad I stumbled upon this awesome site. It will surely be helpful. Thank you for creating it!

I hope to find myself a little second family here! I’m sure I’ll be asking a lot of question soon because I will be taking in baby chicks around April.
Welcome to BYC!!

I don’t have a heating pad for animals, just humans :) . I have a large cardboard box for them to go In but I think I’d like to find something plastic. I may still have my old dog crate but I need to check, that would probably work the best! I’m already seeing all the great info on here, can’t wait to go down the rabbit hole!
Welcome to BYC, Melissa!
The heating pad for humans, set on low, and shaped over wire or a rack is perfect. They need to be able to touch the pad when inside the cave. Make the cave so they can get out on two sides.

Welcome to BYC, Melissa!
The heating pad for humans, set on low, and shaped over wire or a rack is perfect. They need to be able to touch the pad when inside the cave. Make the cave so they can get out on two sides.
Thank you for the tip! I just checked and I can’t find the dog crate, I think I donated it. I do have a large car seat box though. I hope that would be okay to use.

Back
Top Bottom