Hello Chicken Lovers

Cjs Chicklets

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 8, 2013
Hello
frow.gif

I am new to the chicken raising world. I had some when I was a kid living on a farm.
But now I am married and have a 7 year old son. We have purchased the property next to our house,
Which came with a chicken coop already existing. I am so exited to finally try this. Have been wanting to
have some feathered friends now for at least 5 years, and now I have the chance. It should be a good
experience for my son also.

The chicks are on order and I feel I have a long ways to go before the end of March for their arrival.
I am getting 4 Partridge Cochins and 1 ? I like the birds with good color and feathered legs.

We live in IOWA and it gets very cold her in the winter, so I hope I picked a good starting chick?
I have bought one 7 gal feeder and have a large metal can with a lid to store the food in, hoping this keeps mice away?
I cut up my own cardboard to coral them in for a while. This is all I have done so far.

Any easy hints for newbies would be greatly appreciated.
Sandy

Hello and welcome from Ohio...so glad you joined BYC. Best of luck with your new cochins. I have 12 including one partridge hen who likes to sit on me whenever I am out in the yard LOL :)

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

Cochins are very cold hardy, they have profuse fluffy feathers and small combs. They are also docile and friendly - although not very high in egg-production

Back
Top Bottom