Hello, chicken people! :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JeneaneBee, Oct 10, 2013.

1. JeneaneBee

JeneaneBee New Egg

Oct 10, 2013
    Near Denver, Colorado
    Hi, everyone! My name is Jeneane, I live near Denver, Colorado, and we're getting chickens in the spring. [​IMG] My grandmother in Greece has a full homestead, and ever since I was very young, in the back of my mind, I've wanted one of my own.

I've been married for almost 10 years and my husband and I have two children - our son is 9 and our daughter is 7. Might as well tell you about our pets, too. Three cats and an Australian Shepherd dog. And two fish. :) We've always had a garden but chickens didn't come up seriously until a few years ago when we started really looking at our food quality and sources and wanting to be a lot more self-sufficient. I have quite a few books on raising chickens, beekeeping, and self-sufficiency in general.

We couldn't have chickens where we live, soooo I got a beehive. I'm in my second year of beekeeping, and so far it's going well. I've been looking at property where we could have a full farm/homestead but right now, it's just not going to happen. About a month ago, I found out we CAN have chickens, and I've pretty much gone crazy planning it all out. My husband is going to build the coop in the spring, and I've already lined up where I'm going to get at least a couple of the chickens. (Ameracaunas)

Well, I'm going to continue reading posts and articles here. Nice to "meet" you all! :)

2. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Hello and welcome.[​IMG]

3. 1876 Farm

1876 Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome!! I've had chickens since around 2009 and I am now considering adding honey bees next year - are they pretty easy to take care of?

It's always fun planning out something new. Enjoy the planning process!!

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

5. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Hi From Florida.

Glad you are joining us! Chickens are a fun adventure!

It is sooooo " Eggciting" too!!!!!

Caroline

6. Teri Metcalf

Teri Metcalf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    College Station, Texas
    Hi Jeneane, Greetings from Texas. Ameraucanas (or Easter Eggers) are one of my favorites. They're friendly, smart and curious and fun to watch. Your kids are sure to enjoy them too.

7. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Don't forget the fluffy cheeks! I just love those fluffy cheeks!

1 person likes this.
  8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]Happy you joined! [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

10. Butterprint

Butterprint Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Too funny how similar our stories/backgrounds are! I'm a Denver native. My husband and I are on our 2nd year of beekeeping, and about to keep chickens. So excited!

We've hived two swarms now. One died (so sad, suspected CCD) and the other has been absolutely BOOMING with production. We are expecting honey next year. I hope!

Looking forward to getting to know you better :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by