Hello Delmarva!

Yay! A Delmarva thread. I know its old and I hope I dont get in trouble for bumping it up. But I was wondering who was from Delmarva and still posted here? I am in Pittsville.

I just lurk from time to time.
cool.png

Quote:
Hello there kim!! I'm down the road a little in Salisbury. I lived in Pittsville for a little while. It's ok to bump up an old thread like this one.
What kind of chickens do you have?

I dont have any yet. I just moved to Pittsville, from Willards, last week and as luck would have it, there was already a chicken coop here. Its run down and needs work but I have always wanted chickens so I was pleased.
This is the thread with the coop that I have to work with: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=308373
I
hope to get some Australorps and Jersey Giants perhaps. I have been looking at different breeds and I really love a few of them now. LOL
My main concern is getting breeds that will live peacefully together too. My sister had chickens back in NJ and had an issue where the other chickens kept beating up one of her Polish hens (dont know the breed name, but it had a big fluffy hat on its head).

I'm not sure if I want chicks (Chick Days at Tractor Supply this month ya know!) or if I want to get adult hens to start with.

Do you know any place in the area that sells adult egg layers?

smile.png

There is a Chicken swap meet this Saturday at Kays Feed in Delmar DE if anyone is interested.
Its from 9am to 3pm
I'm going to go check it out.

Oh, I might have to go check out the swap!!
I think starting with chicks is cool, because they are so darn adorable,and they do grow fast. But they are harder to take care of. andmore to worry about keeping them safe. I was actually thinking of selling my hens, and starting fresh with some babies. I want different breeds. I know sometimes you will find in the Guide someone selling off hens, but honestly, if you don't really know them, they could be dishonest about the hens age, and you could be getting some old, wornout layers. (Which is fine, chickens are cool, but if you want the eggs they might not be producing alot)

Normally, different breeds get along fine together. I think the Polish are picked on because of their fluffy head feathers. Plus, they can't always see as well because of their feathers.

Quote:
Holy Moley...haven't seen you on here in forever.
smile.png

Yeah.. I'm still here.
old.gif
By the end of today I should have the winter damage to my run squared away
th.gif
and be started on the new bunny hutch.
bun.gif

The owls are busy this morning too
hide.gif

Quote:
Holy Moley...haven't seen you on here in forever.
smile.png

Yeah.. I'm still here.
old.gif
By the end of today I should have the winter damage to my run squared away
th.gif
and be started on the new bunny hutch.
bun.gif

The owls are busy this morning too
hide.gif

Owls?
ep.gif
yikes...um, how do you know that?