Hello Everybody ! .... and about " WILD CHICKENS " ?

schlaminger

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 25, 2012
WV
That's my story and question :

I am a retired guy who like to start some chickens for fun and eggs .

I live in Southern West Virginia near Beckley. I grew up in Austria and later on I immigrated to the USa in 1977.

I my present home is surrounded by woods which would be a great place for having free roaming chickens .

Long time ago i lived at another place in WV and there one of my neighbors had what i would call " wild chickens " They were small .. most likely some type of Bantams.... , and could fly pretty good distances and night roosted in trees .

With one word they survived pretty well and the neighbors kids did go out every day to look for eggs like on an Easter hunt. The eggs were small and very delicious . The chickens were supplemented with some corn especially during the Winter.

Unfortunately the family does not exist anymore and i regret that i did not learn more about this " breed " but even then I most likely would not remember it because it was nearly 20 years ago .

So i thought I go to your FORUM which seems to be very active and dedicated and ask you about these " Wild Chickens" .

My idea would be to built a chicken house and then let them roam free during the day and let them have the choice were to roost during the night . Important is the fact that they were able to fly well enough to protect themselves from predators .

The family did not loose much stock and the chickens even brooded by themselves in the wilderness and kept multiplying .

At the time I was really impressed about this survival chicks ! Maybe somebody living in the Appalachian Region might have similiar breeds ??

Any help and advice to find chicks like that is highly appreciated !

Hope i did not bore you with this long explanation !

Deeter
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
frow.gif

My grandmother came from Logan, WV, have visited a few times in the past. I can't help you with your chicken question, but there are many breeds of chickens that are particularly good at self-reliance that may work for you - game birds come to mind.

Thank you for your welcome and reply !

Yes, i know Logan ! .. My "Wild Chicken "experience was in MC Dowell County which is not to far away .
Did not think about game birds ... but would they stay at my place when roaming around ?

Can you mention some of these self reliance breeds of chickens ?

Back
Top Bottom