Hello Everybody!

G'Day from down under deadLOCC3D :frow Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

Awesome coops and beautiful birds! :clap If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of them or other critters, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

Can you come to my house for a coop visit?! I'll just *borrow* you for 2 weeks or so... only need 3 coops built!!! :lau

:welcome:celebrate

Glad you're here !

A must have for your poultry is a FIRST AID KIT for any issues that would arise. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/suggestions-for-a-first-aid-kit.1150128/)
It's definitely better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Also, make sure your coop(s) have a proper amount of VENTILATION. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop.47774/) Your chickens will absolutely thank you for it!

One last thing, if you're into gardening, feel free to join this years SEED SWAP (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/seed-swap.1220129/)

Thanks for all the welcome messages and kind responses :)

Unfortunately I left my notebook out during the weeks that we had a lot of rain storms out here and my coop plan that I had on it got destroyed.

For my next design, I’ll definitely share it and also the process with you all :)

The building process was really enjoyable to me and I look forward to the next set of coops dedicated for the bantams and ducks.

Here are some addtional photos of the chickens I have now. The game fowls that are profiled with the type of birds they are are images I received from the local breeder, who is also our friend. He gave us some free hens because they were getting beat up at his farm due to the size of his coops. They are all doing well now and get along very well. The love they worms that I dig up for them, but I need to find a better way of collecting maggots or other bugs for them. I'm sure if I leave some meat in a bucket to rot they'll come swarming them lol. Again, still all new to this, but these chickens have become apart of my inner circle already :)

While I was building the coop, this silkie kept coming by. I think her feathers block her eyes so much that she just wanders the property and doesn't know where she's going.
IMG_1256.jpg

This is my Sweater/Hatch rooster. For each of the game fowl families, I rotate them around to free range since the males are really vicious. This guy his is actually very mellow and doesn't start fights. It was unfortunate that one of my mother in law's roosters tried to go against him which left that guy with a bloody eye. It was superficial and he was ok the next day.
IMG_1379.jpg

The next set of photos are of my daughter's bantam rooster. He has two wives who he is very protective of. I was surprised that chickens were like this but proud of him for showing his girls love lol.
IMG_1387.jpg
IMG_1389.jpg
IMG_1390.jpg
IMG_1391.jpg

My wife's game fowls. I don't have individual photos of any of these guys. They were the ones who were sun bathing in a picture from my original post. They only go into the coop to lay eggs and prefer to sleep on the perches in the run.
IMG_1407.jpg
IMG_1408.jpg

This guy was vicious the first day I got him. His two wives are pictured below him. He kicked me for picking up one of his wives but is nice now and loves when I bring him worms.
IMG_1423.jpg
IMG_1424.jpg
IMG_1425.jpg

The rest of these hens live with my Sweater/Hatch. The alpha of these hens is the yellow legged hatch. I have to separate here when I bring in the worms because she would eat them all otherwise.
IMG_1442.jpg
IMG_1443.jpg
IMG_1444.jpg
IMG_1445.jpg

I'll probably write something more detailed about them all in the future as we grow old together lol. I'm very happy there is an outlet for this kind of stuff. I can't stop sharing my interests with these critters with my coworkers. They probably think I'm weird by now, but oh well :)

@Smuvers Farm - Thanks for the article on the ventilation. I've got some windows in the front of each room of the coop, but nothing in the back. Looks like I'll have to add something back there.

Back
Top Bottom