Hello everyone and thank you for adding me.

Mama Chick6258

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2021
I never in the world thought at 74 I'd have chickens for the first time in my life!! We've been in Georgia for almost 3 years and I mentioned getting chickens to my husband. I'd seen and heard some 3 or 4 streets away so hubby called city & since we're in the county the next step was to get them & build them a home. I was thinking 3 or 4 chicks, hubby brought home 12 Golden Comet hens from TS !! I have 3 Yorkies and two of them totally ignored the chicks we got on Feb 26th. The 3rd named Fonzie was a different story. We had the chicks in the basement under heat in 2 pet crates with wire around it so they couldn't squeeze out. They were set up on a table and Fonzie couldn't wait to get up in the morning to go check them out. Afraid he'd hurt himself jumping trying to see them we placed a chair a couple of feet away and he'd jump up on the chair and lie there watching their every move.

Fast forward, hubby built a coop, with nesting boxes, a drip watering system not only in the coop for the night but under it where they spend most of the day. Then he ran electrical to it for the heater and put in solar light and a sheet of clear corrugated sheeting for the roof to let the light in when the sun comes up. There is wire and concrete under the foundation to discourage trespassing critters. Trust me when I say if a tornado came it will take the house but his shed and the chicken coop will still be there.

The 'kids' are now 4 months old and we have taken to letting them out to run in the fenced yard for about an hour, supervised of course. We decided to see what each species would do when put together, supervised of course. On the first day, Fonzie did a lot of looking. The 2nd and 3rd a little sneaking. On the 4th day, he got brave enough to try to take one on. They are all taller than he is and the other two dogs didn't come to the rescue of him as the chickens did the one hen. Two more chicks ran to help the 3rd, who then proceeded to jump on Fonzie's back and get a beak full of his hair. I rescued The Fonz, and from then on he stands behind one of us. We do have 2 chickens that like to sneak up on Fonzie, so now we're watching them! The chickens are a daily source of amusement and laughter. Can't wait for the interest -- the eggs!!!

Back
Top Bottom